Mounting onboard charger XB02

Flyman

Does anyone have an onboard battery charger mounted in their XB02? I’m thinking of doing this to avoid the hassle of connecting chargers to batteries after fishing. Specifically, I’m looking for advice on the best location to mount the charger. The inside wall of the port battery compartment appears to be the best option with aluminum plating on either side of the wall to help reduce stress to the wall. Any ideas?

chad202

That's where I mounted mine. I didn't used a plate though, just the four mounting screws. It's a Dual Pro 3bank sportsman series. Weighs 15lbs. I have 3 lithium batteries each weighing 15lbs. Two are in the starboard wing tip and one in the port.

CarolinaBurt

IMG_2644.JPG IMG_2647.JPG

I've got mine mounted to the front of the port (left) storage locker. I used 1/4" x 20p stainless machine screws and nyloc nuts and large fender washers to support the aluminum plate and charger. You can access the nuts/washers from the rod locker. This installation does not interfere with my Coleman cooler nor it's original tray. Gordon

gmorgan

IMO, an onboard charger in an xb2002 is somewhat like competitive intercourse. Some things just aren’t supposed to happen.

Flyman

IMO, an onboard charger in an xb2002 is somewhat like competitive intercourse. Some things just aren’t supposed to happen.
Although the XB02 was designed for speed, it is nonetheless a bass boat and I occasionally fish from it, but I’m very careful not to get any scales on it, that is if I’m lucky enough to catch any fish. LOL

gmorgan

Hopefully they don’t spit up any half digested minnows either.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although the XB02 was designed for speed, it is nonetheless a bass boat and I occasionally fish from it, but I’m very careful not to get any scales on it, that is if I’m lucky enough to catch any fish. LOL
Maybe we can change that this year. Mine runs ok and I have caught a ton of fish out of it. Sometimes it even stinks. Soap and water take care of that. I just love cruising down the lake and spotting a group of stripers busting the surface. Nothing like killing the motor, coasting in and hooking up with a 30" plus fish.

CarolinaBurt

Guys, my batteries are hard to get to and I love the plug-in ease of the extension cord whenever and wherever I am - whether it's at home or hotel. I have my trolling group/31 battery in the port-side, rear-most location and can't even see the terminals. The starter group/24 battery is deep into the center locker just in front of the fuel tank at the lowest level possible. It is also secured to the floor inside a fully enclosed battery box which would be a pain to access every time I wanted to top-off the charge for my electronics and to be sure my little motor will start. I don't even own a "pull rope" for this Merc. An in-board charger makes good sense for me. Gordon

SLOmofo

I attached a pair of wires to each battery, their terminal ends are just under the lip of the rear center compartment. Just plug them in. I found years ago that the on board chargers of that era didn't last long beating down the lake. Maybe/I'm sure, their better now.
The biggest thing about charging is getting "THE" charger that is for your specific type batteries. Put them on the charger soon as you can, charge them fully and keep the terminals clean and tight.

gmorgan

The original purchaser of my xb2003 told me he had never used anything but a two-battery system, and he gave me a twelve-volt pigtail to plug in to the front panel where you plug in the troller. I simply unplug the troller, plug in the pigtail and hook up the charger to it, and it charges both batteries simultaneously. I am 66 and don’t fish more than six hours at a time, but since I bought the boat 3.5 years ago, I haven’t failed to crank or not been able to use my troller. I have a 20-year-old Johnson troller that I operate on 24 volts on the lower settings. After five hours of fishing last time out fishing swift turbine water, my starting/troller battery read 12.37 volts with a multimeter and 12.57 volts on the nonstarting battery. I use a 16-amp flywheel/stator system. I do carry one of the small lithium ion emergency start battery packs just in case that I bought at Costco for $59.

CarolinaBurt

Your luck with battery life is a lot better than mine. I keep mine separated and have only the starter/group 24 attached to the charging system of the outboard. I use my starter battery for powering the accessories - livewell, bilge, and the electronics. My trolling is 12V and it pulls 40 amps per hour so even my 105 amp trolling group 31 battery can get weak in just 3-4 hours. My Promax must have 11.9 volts to operate the fuel injection and turn the motor quick enough to start. I don't want to risk the "no start" over trolling through that last row of brush piles or under-water points. I change out my Interstate batteries every 2 years and have for 20 years now, but my trolling battery always comes home about 50% charged. I have one of those charger packs also, mine is an Anti-Gravity that I carry on my motorcycles when traveling.

22R

My lil 10 amp Guest. I used some nylon spacers to keep it off the wall. I never leave it plugged in too long though.
Not a fisherman but Oh so much easier than fooling with a portable charger.

Flyman

My lil 10 amp Guest. I used some nylon spacers to keep it off the wall. I never leave it plugged in too long though.
Not a fisherman but Oh so much easier than fooling with a portable charger.

Guys, thanks for the ideas and photos, much appreciated. I run 3 batteries 1 gp. 24 and 2 gp. 27s, the charger is a ProMariner ProSport20Plus and size will pretty much determine where I mount it. 22R, I also plan on using spacers to create a small space between the charger and wall, I found some nylon spacers at a big box store yesterday.
Hope to get it done Friday, but no sense in rushing because it will probably be two weeks before the lake is ready for fishing due to all the rain we’ve had locally.