Recent content by aj06bolt12r

1. aj06bolt12r

Xb 2003 2.5 280 best set up for top end ?

Thats awesome Whipper! You still running that same Promax? The only thing I know of that could tempt me away from an Allison might be a Tuff 24... But they are $$ and I dont want to give up the ability to fish out of mine.. My buddy and I just fished a tournament out of my old XB03 a couple of...
  2. aj06bolt12r

Whipper has been around a while and he knows whats up! I probably read 1000 Whipper posts on Allison setup, props, driving ect... Glad your still on here posting and keeping this forum alive!
  3. aj06bolt12r

I guess this makes it official

Beautiful.. Congrats!
  4. aj06bolt12r

Cool good deal.. The lip is very small even from the factory.. But it makes a huge difference in how the boat reacts to trim and engine height changes and trying to slow down from high speeds.. A lot of people end up with boats with modified or removed lips due to the lip getting damaged or...
  5. aj06bolt12r

I'd send that 28 chopper you have to Billy Eaves and tell him what you have and what you are trying to do.. He will fix you up.. That should be good for low triple digits with that 280. Ive got a 28big ear chopper as well, with a "hoss cut".. Its my favorite prop, drives awesome, very low slip...
  6. aj06bolt12r

An RE4 is not going to be the best prop for top end most likely... You are going to want a 3 blade for that. 28 or 30 pitch will probably be about right for a 280 if you don't have a bunch of extra weight in the boat. Maybe even a 26p if you are turning some RPM.. A Hoss Triton, ET, RE3 or a...
  7. aj06bolt12r

More Upgrades

Sweet looks nice!
  8. aj06bolt12r

Looking to be a first time Allison owner.

Thats awesome.. The kid is a natural!
  9. aj06bolt12r

My first Allison!

Yessir! I was sure you knew better than that unless you were talking about boats with modified pads... Not sure what the pad looks like on the OP's boat.
  10. aj06bolt12r

My first Allison!

Do NOT start out running with the propshaft 1" above pad unless the lip has been sanded off of the pad. If you still have the factory lip 1" above is going to be way too high. Especially just starting out. If you have the lip you will want to be 1/2" to 1/4" BELOW pad to start.
  11. aj06bolt12r

My first Allison!

The side to side motion you are describing sounds like chine walk.. Once that gets going its hard to stop it without slowing down to somewhere around 55mph or less... Once you have more seat time you will be able to recover from it most times with a couple of sharp well timed corrections on the...
  12. aj06bolt12r

XB 2003- 15 or 20 inch mid

Assuming you are running something close to 14" of setback and assuming you have a sportmaster lower unit or a coned 200 case with low water pickup and assuming the lip on the pad has not been removed or reduced... Yes 1/2" to 1/4" below pad is generally a good place to start.
  13. aj06bolt12r

Using ballast solo to increase speed and handling

Get you some of these and fill them with sand. Very cheap. Wont hurt anything in the boat if it gets jostled around. Easy to move around to fine tune your ballast. I usually run around with 3 of these in the passenger side gunnel compartment... Will pull one out and throw it in the middle of...
  14. aj06bolt12r

XB 2003- 15 or 20 inch mid

Ive had both... I actually prefer 20".. Keeps the powerhead out of the water when coming off of plane... Keeps offshore exhaust out of the water at idle speed... That said Im currently running a 16" mid. :)
  15. aj06bolt12r

My first Allison!

I would assume you already know this.. But just in case.. When people say to use very little trim.. They mean use very little positive trim. They don't mean try to drive around with the engine tucked under.. On my Allison if I try to run around with much lower than neutral trim the boat drives...