Lowrance transducer mounting on XB02

XB03AllyProud

I'm rigging a XBo2 and to point of mounting transducers. I'm not a fisherman per se' but got a deal on HDS7 Touch w/ SS 2 ys ago when I still had the 03. I had the "Normal" transducer on the jackplate because prev owners ran them there and used the supplied long bracket for the SS on the opposite side of JP. So neither worked at speed where they were.
On the 02 now I was thinking of putting the normal ducer where the Speedo pickup was from factory since I went GPS and have the bottom even with bottom of hull there. I'm thinking then it would function ok up to true high speed? I wanted the SS mounted to the Skid planner since 3" above the pad and out of harms way and if i was actually using it it would be at speeds slow enough it would be in good water.

So please help me out since I really haven't used this stuff and don't know the fine points and quirks of getting good images. 1 issue I was concerned with was the water disturbance of both the normal and SS ducers on prop bite and over performance of boat at higher speeds. Will the size and blunt shape of the normal ducer at speedo pickup location on port side be enough to mess with prop bite being on that side? Do I need the SS mounted on the port side of Skid planner as well? What happens if they are less than a 1 foot apart, will they read crazy? I know I'm not doing over lays or whatever = hell don't even know all that stuff. But I do want a clean image when using the basics the unit offers.

Anyone do a similar setup on a XB02 that you could show pictures or add comments on your setup? I've got 2 of the "Normal" transducers, so is there a better way to set all this up? If that type is going to never function at speed mounted at the pilot location where would you all suggest mounting? I know I could go get a puck style and epoxy in tray but sounds like you all have issues with that location as well when up running good.

So anyway, hurt my feelings or not give me some experienced advice. Thanks all!

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would put the normal transducer in the tray in front of the livewell. It will work even when going pretty fast then. I wouldn't think you would want anything dragging in the water.

XB03AllyProud

Yea I didn't really want it back there but wasn't sure if the transducer would work right in the tray since it isn't a flat bottom puck that would normally be epoxied in there. Thought if I was gonna go out to run hard I could flip it up, but just being mounted there would still be a disturbance till fully on the pad. Since I have 2 I can try one in the tray and see how it does. The 2nd was for trolling motor but it is a 12v OMC that is easily removed and doubt I put one on it, unless at some point I actually got into fishing regular. I'm mounting the unit on deck next to console on a swivel joint mount so I can turn it to front if up there or remove entirely or laydown for runs. Reading whats at back of boat won't effect my fishing non-ability. lol
Anyone else got any ideas?

XB03AllyProud

Yep, may be what I do. SSV-Where do you live/ boat in Ohio. I work out of Washington Pa and spend alot time just N and S of I-70 around St Clairsville area. I'd like to bring boat out some next year but everything seems small I see-except the river. Beautiful toon lakes but really don't see much in run/ fun/pleasure boats. What lake is your picture taken at?

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am in Tennessee now, I'll change my profile. The Ohio River is nice as long as there haven't been storms recently. Check out Raystown Lake, it is less than 3 hours east of you. S&F guys always have a fall run.