XOB vs. BC Performer 3

mittenbass

I finally had a chance to do some quality prop testing this weekend....with and without my Allison foil bolted on. All runs were made with around 3/4 of gas, very light load, solo, with the propshaft 3/4" above the pad (yes, very high - I don't go this high unless my boat is unloaded).

With the foil:

- 29p Hydromotive XOB, 91.0 mph at 5750 rpm
- 30p Bullet Cut Performer 3, 91.5 mph at 5900 rpm (on the soft limiter - I have the 250XS with the low limiter at 5950 rpm)

Without the foil:

- 29p Hydromotive XOB, 92.5 mph at 5850 rpm

These runs were made back-to-back so same conditions, load, and engine height. By removing the foil, I gained 1.5 mph with the XOB. Holeshot was about 1.5 to 2 seconds slower without the foil and bowrise on holeshot was noticeably worse. I did not try the 30p BC Performer 3 without the foil because I was already on the limiter with it when the foil was on.

I did not notice any handling difference at top end when the foil was off. The Performer was extremely easy to drive at speed. Not so much with the XOB. The XOB was fine up to around 89 mph. Above that it wanted to lean the boat to the right (drivers side). I moved some ballast over to the left, which helped some. It wasn't anything terrible, but was definitely more work to drive. Oddly, I have not noticed this lean with my 27p and 28p XOBs, even at the same propshaft height. I tried lowering the motor some, but the tendency to lean was still there. Might try even more ballast next time.

mittenbass

Could be. I was thinking that the large diameter four blade had something to do with it. My 27 and 28 pitch XOBs don't exhibit this same handling trait, so I was thinking it could be the paddle wheel effect of taller pitch with 1.62 gears. It only happens when I get into the 90s when the boat is really up on the pad.

Allyfishing

I am experiencing the same thing Brad with my 28p XOB. It leans hard right with the same ballast on the passenger side that I used with my 250 and I was balanced then. I even added about another 15 or more ponds of tackle and still leaned right. I don't have any more to add and that's with 2 25LB shot bags in the rear passenger compartment. I guess I need to move it to various spots to get a better idea.

xb03fs

Craig you need to move the ballast forward. The further forward the more Effective the wieght seems. The faster you go the more that is needed it seems. I like my wieght in the 2+2 either across from driver or left rear passenger seat solo.

Allyfishing

Nathan, I have almost all my stuff up front now with the exception of the tool box, spare prop and 2 shot bags in the rear port for solo. I'm going to move the 2 shot bags into the side compartment next to the passenger seat like Tim mentioned next season.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nathan, I have almost all my stuff up front now with the exception of the tool box, spare prop and 2 shot bags in the rear port for solo. I'm going to move the 2 shot bags into the side compartment next to the passenger seat like Tim mentioned next season.

Why wait until next year? It is going to be in the mid 80's for the next few days.

xb03fs

Hmmm. If we have a mild winter I ammay be able to get back in water...

JWolff

I can run the river year round but the fishing is so bad that it is rarely worth the suffering inflicted from the cold.

Tim Powell

I fish year round, well....except for this year....haven't touched my boat since the forward gear broke back in Oct. Been too busy working on this dang house and moving.