Winter Engine Surprise?

pacman809

While winterizing this this weekend, pulled the lower unit for storage and a new impeller in th spring. Found suspicious grey grease around the top of the shaft that usually suggests water and oil mix. I've never seen this - anyone? Strange place for this mix- blown seat gasket? Cracked spacer block? All ideas welcome- thanks.

Attachments

pacman809

Beats me. This is not a new motor ('97) and I've had the lower unit off a number of times and never saw this color grease. I pack the spines with regular black bearing grease when putting the lower unit back on. This tan/ grey stuff was new to me.

SSTOM

That looks like the bottom bearing cap is leaking a little. Couple of my power heads do that no big deal imo.

gmorgan

I'm sure SSTOM is right. When I had my ph off, that stuff was sitting on top off the adaptor plate around the driveshaft. During the winter, I would just replace the lower crank seal.

pacman809

Thanks all. This is a '97 200 EFI that's been running fine to date. I think I may go ahead and replace the lower seal and check the bearing while I'm in there. Good winter activity.