New Mercury 200 XS Consumer Outboard

Dave Hensley

I have seen a couple of saltwater 200XS ROS' around.in the $14K range. Merc's next outboard that will even come close to what our boats need will be on the 3 liter 4-stroke platform. 455 pounds with integral trim. But....they just made a new run of 225 Pro Max blocks so you never know.

22R

I have seen a couple of saltwater 200XS ROS' around.in the $14K range. Merc's next outboard that will even come close to what our boats need will be on the 3 liter 4-stroke platform. 455 pounds with integral trim. But....they just made a new run of 225 Pro Max blocks so you never know.
Is that 2.5 Litre Pro Max's ? I assume so

Darth VMAX

Merc had the motor that everyone is wanting or would be pleased with. They only made it in 2005. It just had one drawback that once taken back to the design table it could be fixed.

The 2.5xs was a 2.5L, 6800 rpm "225" hp (245 hp) optimax. Everyone knows what killed it was the 450+lb weight due to the 3.0L mid.

Offer it in a 15" and 20" 2.5 mid, a 1.75 or 1.87 ratio sporty and there it is! It pushed a STV Euro 105 mph

Last edited:
Reactions: 22R

Dave Hensley

With the 3.0 liter mid you got the more robust 3.0 liter Sportmaster with the 2.5XS, correct? They were making the Gen 1 200XS the same year that was 2.5 top to bottom. Same powerhead. The 175 ProXS is still a good option for a 20' Allison. Don't know how much longer they will be around.

RiverRat71

Merc had the motor that everyone is wanting or would be pleased with. They only made it in 2005. It just had one drawback that once taken back to the design table it could be fixed.

The 2.5xs was a 2.5L, 6800 rpm "225" hp (245 hp) optimax. Everyone knows what killed it was the 450+lb weight due to the 3.0L mid.

Offer it in a 15" and 20" 2.5 mid, a 1.75 or 1.87 ratio sporty and there it is! It pushed a STV Euro 105 mph
That is what I have on my GS. It does seem pretty strong but it is listed at 450lb like you stated. I am curious if the center could be shortened/modified. Key Puckett (Fishin World) told me he thought the 2.5XS was one of the best motors Merc built & that it should push my boat to low to mid 90's without a problem. I spoke with him before I purchased my GS because he sold it to the original owner that I got it from. RR

Darth VMAX

I just think lightening the 2.5xs up just a tad....offer the 2.5 mid (15 or 20) and 1.75 or 1.87 RATCHETING Sportmaster and get rid of that plain ugly optimax cowl that's been the same for what seems like 20 years with something new more from the racing lineage and I think Merc would have a real winner and fill a niche that is void right now.

Dave Hensley

450 pounds is not much off what the 200XS ROS weighs. The compressor, fuel rails, alternator and the heavy offshore clamp, swing bucket and mid are pushing 440#. The new 3.0Liter 150 4-stroke comes in at 450#. That is a 20" motor. A newer designed production single ram clamp and mid at 15" with a supercharger and Merc would have a true re-power option going forward for our style boats......with a 5 year warranty available maybe?? I can see 240-250' ish hp easy.

Darth VMAX

This is has been great discussion, however I have been giggling and thinking about how times have surely changed!

I have been on this board since the 2001/2002 time-frame and I remember getting lectured of how me wanting to put a Yamaha on an XB02 or XB03 was a bad idea due to being "overweight" at 418 lbs.... now we are okay with 440-450lb motors LOL

Heck, I am hoping next spring to put one of Wayne's 3.1L Phase III SS Yammies on my XB2002 Comp Pro and I think I can....maybe even a phase III HPDI

times have changed for sure LOL

Lotus 50

I watched Dave Hensley's ad almost daily for a year. No shipping put me off but maybe I should have contacted him and worked something out.

$16,500 was what I thought was fair for a new 200XS. That was the price for a while, then one year it jumped to $20K. At $20K I was and would still be out. Dave was $15.5 for used, but probably worth it. Certainly $15.5 is a lot better than $20, and by all accounts Dave H can be trusted to have good stuff. I just struggled with that much for not new and the hassle of shipping.

Recently Z06 started the $100 price drop a day. So I watched that daily. I didn't make it to $16,500 but close enough. My 200XS is being rigged now.

It's not obvious to me that Merc will ever make a high power light weight motor again. Maybe the market will change. Anyway I doubled down on two strokes this year. A 50% interest in a 150HO for the family ski boat and a 200XS for my Allison. I'll just delay retirement.

Dave Hensley

Lotus 50 the no shipping was to prevent what has happened on the last three motors I sold that were to be shipped. One to California where the guy sent a check then cancelled it and called to say he changed his mind, one to Norway that said " check was in the mail" that never showed up and one that I took the time to assemble and was going to run it on the hose just to make sure everything was OK on a 0 hour rebuild and the funds never showed up. Policy from now on is first person with cash in hand that pulls in the driveway, inspects everything they want to inspect and pays cash will be the new owner. It is a shame folks can't do what they say they will do any longer. Deposits will not be accepted. I had one guy send a $1000 deposit on a $20K boat and found out he was trying to sell the motor off of it while he was telling me he was having trouble getting here to pick it up. Just the world we live in. Penalizes the good folks.

Lotus 50

I get it. Perhaps I should have bought your motor a year ago and saved the cost of Promax repairs or bought the one you had for sale before. I hope I did not waste too much of your time kicking the tires. Good luck with your sale if it isn't sold yet.

Dave Hensley

You didn't bother me at all. I got to run the motor twice before I sold the GS it was on. I have acquired an XB2002 that I sold in 2015. The boat is immaculate and the motor will make a super nice rig. I didn't want to use it and run the hours up but having it where I can exercise it occasionally I think will ultimately be a better situation.

Dave Hensley

Retirement from Allisons?
Probably a lot fewer. Even the XB 21 is not suited for use on the water that I frequent now. If I could cross my arms and blink my eyes there would be an XR2002 and an aluminum fishing boat in the shop. Something bigger in the boathouse.

fnshrmaster

You didn't bother me at all. I got to run the motor twice before I sold the GS it was on. I have acquired an XB2002 that I sold in 2015. The boat is immaculate and the motor will make a super nice rig. I didn't want to use it and run the hours up but having it where I can exercise it occasionally I think will ultimately be a better situation.
Hows that project coming along Dave?

Wave to Wave

Love this thread. Will be testing the new 150 pro xs four stroke on a Grand Sport shortly.

Will baseline it with stock gearcase. Then see if the Verado pro 4.88 1.75:1 case will work, it should. And would love to see if a SM will work. The 150 Pro makes 163 hp. I think with only ecu programming, it could make 175.