What micron filter

David B

Tell me what micron filter u use between tank and fuel pump on your horn motor. 10 micron,25 micron 100 micron etc.

xb03

I use a fuel water separator its probably 100 micron before the pump and then a 10 micron after the fuel pump to protect the injectors.

David B

I also use a water seperator filter but I can't find a filter higher than 25 micron for it

gmorgan

I use the Mercury water separator spin-on filter. I haven't had a problem with it at all.

David B

If I go with a 100 micron before I will have to loose my water Sep filter. Is this ok

90 5.0

10 micron is a bigger hole than 100 micron.

But the 10 first and the 100 after the pump. If you do it the other way and you have a high fuel demand the net positive suction head can be effected before the pump and you will have fuel delivery issues on the big end.

Bobalouie

Yea, I had that backwards, sorry. It is 10 before to protect the pump and 100 after to protect the injectors.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
That doesn't make sense to me but I haven't messed with filters much. This is what I found using google:

Which Is Finer? One Micron Or 100 Microns?
It's easy to get confused when it it comes to filters. It's easy to imagine that 100 microns would be a better filter than 1 micron, but this is the exact opposite. Again think in terms of the hole size in the filter medium. If a micron is a unit of measure, then ten microns must be ten times bigger than one micron, and one hundred microns must be ten times bigger than ten microns.

So, if a filter is 100 microns, the holes that do the filtering are 100 times bigger than those found in a one micron filter.

Filtering In Microns Made Easy
Still confused? Okay, so I'm not a scientist and my explanation may be a little off, so here's a quick guide:

Coarse Filtering = 500 Microns, 200 Microns, 100 Microns

Medium Filtering = 50 Microns, 20 Microns

Fine Filtering = 5 Microns, One Micron

David B

That's what I thought. 100 microns let's more particles through. I was told to put 100 micron between tank and pump and 10 micron between pump and injectors

90 5.0

That's not how micron filters work, it's not the size of the opening that's measured

I could right a long detailed post about how it's done but trust me a 10 micron filter is a lot more course than a 100 micron.

I work with them a lot at work.

10 from tank to pump and 100 from pump to motor.

If you put the 100 first there is no need for the 10 after unless you just want to catch peices of broken pump when it fails that's all it would do.

If anyone is really interested I could download a presentation on micron filtering and post a drop box link here.

But trust me on this one.

90 5.0

Anyone that tells you different, or anything you read different is incorrect.

An API 70 micron screen is way way more course than an API 200 micron screen.

David B

Sounds good. Right now my set up is between tank and pump is a water Sep with 25 micron and between water Sep and injectors is a 13 micron filter. Have not ran motor yet. Is this ok

gmorgan

I made a search, and this is one entry from the Internet.

What Is a Micron Rating?
The average size of the openings between pieces of the filter media are represented in microns. For example, a 20-micron filter has larger openings than a 5-micron filter. Consequently, the 20-micron filter element will let larger particles pass through the filter than the 5-micron media would.

This has always been my understanding. I'm no expert, but it stands to reason to me.

gmorgan

Here's another more specific explanation from the Baldwin Filter site.

"A micron is a unit of measure in the metric system equal to 1 millionth of a meter in length (about 39 millionths of an inch). The average cross-section of a human hair is 50 microns. The human eye cannot see anything smaller than 40 microns in size.

50 microns – Diameter of a human hair
40 microns – Lower limit of visibility of a human eye
25 microns – White blood cells
8 microns – Red blood cells
2 microns – Bacteria"