Crossing my fingers

PATR154

First, a thank you to those that responded to my first post…Affordable Allison. It’s not in my garage yet but process is in motion. I’m leaving for Phoenix from Minnesota in a few days to get what would be my first Allison, a 2004 XB21 center console with a Merc 250 XS. A little more than I wanted to spend but I think it’ll be a good fit. I’m looking forward to my first visit to AZ as well.

PATR154

No, it’s a white, red and black Bassport Elite. It’s on Boat Trader. I’m paying $30,000 for it. Performance Marine in Glendale, AZ services the boat. New carpet from Allison. Owner said to talk to Bill in parts and service at Allison if I ever need anything. It’s a Boatmate trailer and the current owner says has a 1 7/8” coupler which perplexes me. I figured 2” for sure. He said to bring both size balls if I have any doubts.

PATR154

Thank you. I’m going to enjoy the experience of driving and getting to know the boat. A little different than the Stratos I used to have or the old Ranger I currently have, both powered by 150s. 1800 miles one way to pick her up. Well worth it.

motobuffy

Phoenix must be the place to go for a deal on Allisons. I drove from Virginia to pick up mine there four years ago.

PATR154

Phoenix must be the place to go for a deal on Allisons. I drove from Virginia to pick up mine there four years ago.
It’s cool that you think that I got a deal on the boat. It was hard for me to come up with a value for this boat because there are so few of the older Allisons for sale and prices vary. I do think the price I’ll be paying is about right though and I got a good feeling about its history talking to the owner. Didn’t expect one to turn up in Phoenix. In my opinion Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama and Texas were a few locations that were more likely to turn up in my search. That’s where they seem to be when I see most Allisons, regardless of model year. You drove to Virginia from where to get yours?

pkstv

No, it’s a white, red and black Bassport Elite. It’s on Boat Trader. I’m paying $30,000 for it. Performance Marine in Glendale, AZ services the boat. New carpet from Allison. Owner said to talk to Bill in parts and service at Allison if I ever need anything. It’s a Boatmate trailer and the current owner says has a 1 7/8” coupler which perplexes me. I figured 2” for sure. He said to bring both size balls if I have any doubts.
If it’s on a boat mate trailer take a 2” ball just to be sure . I don’t think boat mate makes anything smaller .

PATR154

If it’s on a boat mate trailer take a 2” ball just to be sure . I don’t think boat mate makes anything smaller .
It’s on a Boat mate trailer and I’m bringing two hitch balls. I realize coupler latches can be a pain sometimes and the combo is 20 years old but, who knows. I’ll be finding out soon enough.

motobuffy

It’s cool that you think that I got a deal on the boat. It was hard for me to come up with a value for this boat because there are so few of the older Allisons for sale and prices vary. I do think the price I’ll be paying is about right though and I got a good feeling about its history talking to the owner. Didn’t expect one to turn up in Phoenix. In my opinion Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama and Texas were a few locations that were more likely to turn up in my search. That’s where they seem to be when I see most Allisons, regardless of model year. You drove to Virginia from where to get yours?
No, I drove from Virginia to Phoenix to purchase and returned home. At that time, I didn't see anything in the southeast anywhere near the price I paid in Phoenix. My assumption was the previous owner drank the Allison Kool aid, couldn't drive the boat, and had no one in the area to help him. He traded it in and took a huge hit. Dealer had no market for Allisons, so it sat. The price dropped to a fire sale level and I hit the road

PATR154

No, I drove from Virginia to Phoenix to purchase and returned home. At that time, I didn't see anything in the southeast anywhere near the price I paid in Phoenix. My assumption was the previous owner drank the Allison Kool aid, couldn't drive the boat, and had no one in the area to help him. He traded it in and took a huge hit. Dealer had no market for Allisons, so it sat. The price dropped to a fire sale level and I hit the road
Yes, I figured you were in Virginia and went to Phoenix to get yours shortly after. I’m a scatterbrain at times. If I may ask, what do you have? I like your story. I’ve daydreamed of those fire sales often!! It’s interesting how you mention drinking the Allison Kool Aid. I’ve taken both bass boats that I’ve owned to 60mph, no sweat but that’s all they were capable of. I’d like to learn to drive the Ally close to its potential but I realize it could take time. This one has a Sportmaster and a 25 pitch Trophy Plus prop. I said to the seller, “That prop is a little small for those big high powered Allison’s eh.” He said to me, “Great hole shot and midrange, it gets well into the 80s and drives really well at higher speeds. A good training wheel for ya.” I respect that. Pride in ownership is key right now. The members of this forum are there if I need help within reason. The rest will come. I shove off for Phoenix shortly. The best to ya!

motobuffy

Mine is a 2006 2+2, with a 225 (3.0). White and tan, not what I would have liked, but then I'm not a big fan of red either. At that time, only 60 some 2+2s had been made and I wanted a 2+2. Some concessions had to be made. The bad side of my trip was the heat. My Excursion crapped out in Truth or Consequences, NM on a Friday night. Luckily, there was a backyard diesel mechanic who had an extra 2 injectors and a fuel pump to get me going. 110 degrees and a 200k truck was not a good combination. I've gotten over the speed thing. I'm 70 and that is also my speed limit. Good luck on your journey

PATR154

Correction on the model boat I’m buying in Phoenix, it’s a ProSport Elite. The sellers insurance papers had it wrong. Being it’s a center console, I should have picked up on that.

PATR154

Yes, I figured you were in Virginia and went to Phoenix to get yours shortly after. I’m a scatterbrain at times. If I may ask, what do you have? I like your story. I’ve daydreamed of those fire sales often!! It’s interesting how you mention drinking the Allison Kool Aid. I’ve taken both bass boats that I’ve owned to 60mph, no sweat but that’s all they were capable of. I’d like to learn to drive the Ally close to its potential but I realize it could take time. This one has a Sportmaster and a 25 pitch Trophy Plus prop. I said to the seller, “That prop is a little small for those big high powered Allison’s eh.” He said to me, “Great hole shot and midrange, it gets well into the 80s and drives really well at higher speeds. A good training wheel for ya.” I respect that. Pride in ownership is key right now. The members of this forum are there if I need help within reason. The rest will come. I shove off for Phoenix shortly. The best to ya!
You drove to Phoenix and back from Virginia. You are truly Iron Man. From Minnesota was tiring enough. Still have to drive back. The boat is a beauty. It’ll be well worth it.

ROBERT CROSS

Sounds like a winner to this Allison Weiner.
Allison procurement takes effort, time, care, and $$$.
For our first GSE we drove from WNYS to Ark and to Texas for the second.
Have fun and don't rush the learning curve.

Last edited:

aj06bolt12r

Awesome man! Let us know how it goes for you learning to drive it. I love the ProSport console style.. Awesome wind protection. I think 30k for that rig was a damn good price.

PATR154

Awesome man! Let us know how it goes for you learning to drive it. I love the ProSport console style.. Awesome wind protection. I think 30k for that rig was a damn good price.
I will definitely report in regarding the learning curve but it may take a while. Recent retirement, getting out of the city and getting my perfect property brings with a lengthy “to do” list. On top of that, car shows to attend, finish breaking in the new power head on the old Ranger I should’ve never bought AND getting the Allison looked over entirely by my trusted marine outfit before I put it on the water…well my friend, I’m sure you understand. Now that I’ve moved, I have a couple marine shops to check out but I’m sure everyone in the area is way busy. Like member Robert Cross replied, Allison procurement (I love the terminology) takes effort, time, care and $$$. He hit the nail on the head. The sellers contact, Performance Marine AZ went through the trailer for my long journey home. That was huge. A wheel bearing needed attention and I she pulled great. The seller told me I can call anytime if needed. It’s gonna hurt a little until I get it on the water but in the meantime I’ll familiarize with and detail the boat. I’m happy you feel I got a deal on her because honestly, I didn’t know. I just figured I paid what it’s worth. She’s home, she’s mine and I’ll admire her with pride.

PATR154

What a great-looking rig...how bout dem colors.
Bout dem colors, they seem to be a popular color combo with similar Allisons but I like ‘em! Sometimes I like to be different from the crowd but that color combo would be hard to pass up if I were lucky enough to order new. Also like your sense of humor. Allison Weiner, Allison procurement, good stuff. I certainly needed it for the trip home. At times I felt like I was driving the gauntlet. Through the mountains with a half ton pickup towing my pride and joy, in the rain after dark and thanks to road construction, one lane passages with concrete barriers that looked barely wide enough to fit compact car through…in the dark and rain. Geez and you did it twice. Cheers to you and all the members that shared their experiences. Also a big thank you to the private sellers for their hospitality, Performance Marine AZ in Glendale, and my relatives in CO for a great mid point stay. Allison procurement, well said my friend!