Search results

1. I

New problem

Just got my 225 promax running great after swapping out a pooched starter. Out fishing, running great. Stopped for a few casts, turn key, engine fires up and then stops instantly. Only started twice after that, but both times died instantly. Thereafter cranking did absolutely nothing. I...
  2. I

The drama continues....

My 1996 225 Promax was running absolutely perfect. Then, this past weekend, as I was forward idling, the engine just quit. I managed to restart it once, then it quit again. From that point on, when I turn the key, I get one single click at the starter, and that is it. I've tried 5 different...
  3. I

Push to choke?

So this is further to my post below re: rough idle and stumble/crap up to 3000 rpm. My buddy suggested I check to make sure the choke is not on all the time. I can still push the button in with the key, but the interesting thing is that when it is idling and I push in the choke And hold it there...
  4. I

225 Promax - rough idle and no warm start

I have a 1996 engine that was running pretty decent until it suddenly started idling very rough and on up to about 3000 rpm. On a cold start, it roars to life instantly, killing all airborne life with a huge plume of smoke (50 to 1). Past 3000 rpm and right up to the limiter she runs great...
  5. I

1997 XB03 Hull and Trailer - 9k

new post with new pics
  6. I

1997 XB03 Hull and Trailer - 9k

:gone fishingred and white single axle Boatmate (red) grey carpet (matched mariner 225) fully rigged for Merc brand new seastar pro hydraulic steering (leaving cylinder with boat) brand new teleflex blinker jack and trim new red momo steering wheel and matching grab handles one year old...
  7. I

Bottom Falling Out of Allison Market?

Haven't seen this many XB03s for sale in the last 5 years!! I gotta figure the prices are gonna start coming down a fair bit.
  8. I

propshaft rotation??!

I'm running an 03 with a 225PM. My mechanic warned me that the gears in my lower unit, a coned CLE, didn't look great. So I purchased a used set off a fellow on S and F. The gears look to be in pretty good shape, but my mechanic tells me they are cut in the opposite direction to my original...
  9. I

1999 Promax 300 hp

Hey - I'm looking at a boat with this engine (not selling my Allison!). Its never been apart - if I get a compression/leakdown test done, and a lower-unit check, together with a test ride, is it a advisable purchase? I know a 300XS is preferred and all that, and there's risk invovled, but...
  10. I

Rebuild or not??

I've got a 1996 225 promax on my 97 xb03. I've run it for a year, and it has run seemingly flawlessly. Problem is, despite constant changes in props, motor height, trim, etc., I can't get the rig to run above 80 mph. Pad seems fine as well. I don't think the powerhead has ever been rebuilt...
  11. I

Monster Gauges in an XB2003?

Has anyone custom-fabricated a way to put a 4 5/8" Monster speedo gauge into an 03 dash?? Tx.
  12. I

260 v 225 pm

Any ideas as to the performance differences between the two on an XB03? Thinkin about top end and at idle. Re: idle, I'm told they run at 1k rpm and should be shifted in gear?! Thanks.
  13. I

Freeze Up??

Hey Boys. So, my 03 has been high and dry on a lift for a good month and half. The 225 PM was completely out of the water and tucked right in. The temps up here in the great white north have dipped just below freezing the last couple of nights. I got the boat off the lift yesterday, it took...
  14. I

Seastar Hydraulic Steering

Wildman's got a complete system for sale, almost brand new by the looks, for just 700$. He's totally trustworthy, to boot. http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19113
  15. I

Water Intrusion

Hey - everytime I put my 03 on the lift, 20 gallons of water drains out the drain hole on the right (looking at the stern). Ive got the livewell set to "closed", but I still get water filling up in there. Is the butterfly valve busted??
  16. I

What the KLUNK?

I get my gear shift engaged into forward, the boat starts forward, then I hear two loud "clunks" that sound like the lower unit is engaging into forward. The sound does not reoccur, and when I throttle back down to idle, then back up again, no klunk. It sounds to me like the lower engaging...
  17. I

Gas cap replacement

The plastic attachment on my gas cap on my 1996 03 snapped when filling and the cap sank in 65 feet of water. Anyone know the diameter and thread size? Even better, someone bought one online and can confirm it fits, in which case I will just order from there? Thanks.
  18. I

Is this a CLE?

Is my lower a CLE? I assume so, (I know what the SM looks like), but am wondering if it might have been coned. There is a crack along an underside and it looks like bondo in there. I've now tried 4 different props, the best is an OMC 29 pitch thats been labbed and my top speed is still only...
  19. I

25 pitch vs 23 pitch for skiing

I been looking for a ski prop for my 03 with 225 pm. I've got a line on a Trophy Plus, 25 pitch. Is a 23 pitch better, or would there likely be little difference between the two? I'm already using a 28 pitch 4 blade prop of unkown origin - it gets my kids out on one ski, but barely. Thanks guys.
  20. I

WTB - 23 pitch Trophy Plus

Looking for a ski prop for my XB2003 225 PM. Let me know what ya got! John.