$1,000,000.00 a week soccer player???

RedAllison

:cuss :confused: :mad :mad: THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT???

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?ps=1013&id=13373908&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCL1_UNEWS

Soccer (lol or "Communist kickball" as I've heard it called) is no longer popular in this country after a kid grows pubes and starts being interested in members of the opposite sex (or SAME SEX for that matter, we ARE talking about soccer afterall). But some Euroflunkie has inked a 5 year deal worth a reported $250,000,000.00 with a pro soccer team in L.A. I've never even heard of the guy and honestly didn't know there was even a professional soccer league still in existence in the country anymore. BUT CHRIST ALMIGHTY ONE MILLION BUCKS A WEEK TO KICK A FREAKIN BALL UP AND DOWN A FOOTBALL FIELD???

Damn, and here alot of those same people in the stands rootin for soccer are mouthing about paying for extra troops in our military!!!
RA

hack02

Dang Red, finally somebody that makes as much as you do. You'd think that Major League Soccer would have to be more popular than the NFL or MLB or even the NBA to be able to support a pay scale like that. Thats 50 million a year. Maybe they're banking on pulling some international money in, after all Foootball (soccer to us, and no I didn't misspell it) is the most popular sport the world over. As a matter of fact, more American kids play organized soccer than baseball.
I think soccer is alot like hockey in that the games are better in real life than on TV. Its also a very rough sport on the adult level, full speed and contact with no pads.
Hec, with money like that at stake we better encourage our kids to turn pro.

RedAllison

Hackimus after researching a little on the deal I understand they have essentially "bought this horse". He isn't being paid a flat salary of $250M over 5 years by the team itself. The total $250M is salary plus future endorsements, appearances etc... In essence he is now OWNED by whoever that team in L.A. is. (LOL you pay me a mill a week and I'll be yo Toby as well. :beer: ) I think it was a deal similar too the F1 Ferrari deal of Micheal Schumacher, they paid him $30Mill a year to drive the car, but the lions share of that was through endorsements and off track activities vs strictly a salary for driving.

BUT STILL, I can't imagine someone putting together a deal with advertisers that would generate THIS KIND of return on investment. Simply unbelievable!!! :cuss Hell if I was makin that kinda chee$e I'd be afraid to step foot on the field for fear of injury. Sittin out one week of season would cost ya $1Mill...

I STILL think they are crazy for hinging all their hopes on one dude and putting this kind of money into him!!!
RA