1.75 gears

JR

I am considering changing the gearset in my PM 225 ss / sportmaster to a 1.75. There is also a 1.65 available too.
I am now running a 30"chopperII with the stock gearset / stock limiter and maxing out at 95GPS.
My question is: would dropping my pitch and gearset gain anything?
The lower pitch props would seem to be more efficient even though they would turn faster.
Thanks,
JR

Wicky

I like them. :D Unless your drag racing, Imo, might as well have freeway gears.

chad202

Just curious, what load are you running when running 95mph. I haven't lightned my boat up yet and went run but I don't want to shoot for a speed I can't attain running with a fishing load.

JR

Big end speed

Chad, I am in a Grandsport which is about 2-3 MPH faster than the 03 hull on a Bass boat [from what I have seen]. The trolling motor and the livewells seem to be the difference. I think Rhenry and George were getting 93 GPS on their bassboats. I have also modified my sportmaster GC.
Removing my wind shield might pick up a MPH also but is not worth it.
JR

Yellowallison

JR........

with the load of big Butts, ski's, gas, FOOD, and cooolers yu carry all tha time.. I don't think yu be happy with 1.75's...

1.75's kill ya low speed power.... 1.75 are good when yu run light and hard most of the time.. I got an 1.75 GC tha a dust collector..

I'll be home all weeknd... bringn that ole junk PM by my shop.. I give ya 500 bucks for it.. that deal... jus think how many BAR-B-QUE sandwichs yu can buy with 500$...

--- the way Yu keep getting older and mo rounder.. I think Yu gunna need 2.1's! :wink: :wink: :wink:

JR

Need the Money

Maybe with the $500 I can climb-out-of-poverty?; buy a 200# slab of ribs? Pay for another wedding? [3 in 4 years now]. Maybe that will be my retirement.....
Scott,
I haven't decided what to do with it yet, Curtis said it was still in very good shape except boring #4.

Took the new Motor out last night and it seems to have more mid-range "punch", even though it's still tight.

Hope to finish the break in before Vacation, but will have to see how knee surgery goes.....

My brother wants to sell the red Mirage / 260, if you know anyone who wants it.

JR

deadeye99

JR, I hate to dispute Scott but I thought the 1.75 improved holeshot on my boat. Something about turning less pitch helps shifting and hole shot in my opinion. I went from a 29 re3 to a 26 et. xb2003 225 pmax{till this Sat} 92 on the limiter with a fishn load. I can easily plane 4 adults with this set up. Not little fellers either. Bob