1985 xst setup help.

sasquitch007

Probationary User
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and to outboards. I bought a 1985 xst last year. It has a 220hp mercury converted to carbs (wh22s), 6" setback manual jack plate,and just added water scoops. I have been trying to get more or at least normal speed for this hull. When I bought the boat it had a 26p big ear chopper on it. The best numbers I got with it 3 1/2" below the pad were 62mph(GPS) at 6000rpm. I bought a 25p trophy and raised the motor to 2 1/2" below the pad and got 62mph @ 5800 rpm. With the motor at 2 1/12" below the pad ,the trophy would shoot a huge rooster tail if I tried to trim at all. I have now added the water scoops and put the chopper back on and raised the motor to 2" below the pad. I could not get a wot test because the chopper now has a bad vibration you can feel through the hull. The more rpms the worse the vibration. I have talked to other about the vibration and most say that the chopper is out of balance? I never felt any vibration when the chopper was at 3 1/2" below the pad. I have talked with others that have owned xst boats and all of them say with my motor I should be getting a lot better numbers. I don't really know what is the right direction to go. Do I need more setback, a nosecone? I have great water pressure, with the scoops, 25psi at wot. Should I raise the motor? When I ran the trophy the slip numbers did get better. I thought I might put the trophy back on and run it at 2" below the pad. I am just not sure how high you can run a trophy. I know if could not trim at 2 1/2" below. I pretty sure I want be able to trim at 2" without a rooster tail. I have also been told that a nosecone will not help me until I reach 80mph? I greatly appreciate any help. I know this is a long post with alot of questions. I just wanted to give as much information I could. Thanks again for any help. Brad

85allison

I would get a low water pickup for safety and better set up. I have the same boat. I run my motor with the tip of the cone even with the pad. I have a stock 200 2.4 carb motor and with an allison cut 24 yamaha drag prop I ran 96 on gps. You will be able to reach 80 quite fast but the motor is far to low and you need 9" of set back.

sasquitch007

Probationary User
Thanks 85 allison. Have you had any problems with vibration . The chopper has a bad vibration at the current engine height. I have put the 25p trophy on but have not ran it yet. Does the nose cone make a big difference. I was told on scream and fly to get my slip numbers down before buying a none cone. I have installed the water scoops. I was thinking of buying the 2" spacers from bobs. With the spacers I would have a total of 8" of set back. Thanks for your help.

85allison

I would get the 2" spacers and get a nose cone, it makes a huge difference. Depending ont he prop you will get some vibration. Good luck, look for a nose cone and a good 24 Yamaha drag prop

sasquitch007

Probationary User
Thanks for the help. I have talked with your uncle I think? corona Mike on scream and fly some time ago when I first got my boat. You both have helped me alot. I will get the spacers and when I get the funds, a nose cone lwp from bobs. What is a fair price for a 24 Yamaha drag? Is the boat in the pic your new boat? Its very very very nice. What model? I really like my Allison, I just want to get the most I can out of it. Thanks again for your help. Brad

85allison

You can spend from 300.00 to 700.00 on a prop. I would look for a lower unit that has already been done. That is my new boat, it is an XB2002. You will get there with your boat. The guy I sold it to just ran 98 on the gps today with a modified 2.5 200 with a 15" mid and sportmaster. He was running a 27 mazco re3 allison cut.