2008 225 pro xs vs. 250 pro xs

Blueally XB21

What are the differences between these two motors? Is it just porting and fuel curve? Any other differences? I have access to a 225 pro xs with #2 cylinder down and was thinking of rebuilding it. Just curious what it would take to make it a 250? Any thoughts from the experts?

SLOmofo

Sorry I'm in one of my moods. I'm not an expert but I've spent a few $ over the years and stuck many more engines than I'd like to count. Sawed a couple in half too. Luckily I am able to slap the stuck ones back together myself with some one else doing the machine work. The ones with windows went to the scrap yard after saying a few words over them.
Now if you find the right person and they like you, stuff can happen. There again... if they get to busy it might be a couple of years to get it back again.

dubmoney

You might ask this question on Scream and Fly. I a 90% sure the answer will be " if you want a 250, buy a 250. You will spend more money trying to make a 225 into a 250." I could be wrong, but I have never seen, a quick easy answer, like "send you computer to (insert name) and raise ports by (x) dimension and you will have 250 horsepower. There usually is a little more too it like exhaust tuner, or compression, or some other port is cut differently.

xb03

From what I was told it’s the amount of air, intake and ecm, that all the 3.0 blocks were the same. But I have not confirmed this info.

ntxwaterfowl

I would look at part catalogs just to be sure as has been suggested. I am certainly not an expert on 2 strokes but I’ve done a fair amount of work on cars over the years as an enthusiast of fast cars and hot rods who also happens to have no money, believe the expression is champagne taste on a beer budget... Anyway the one nearly universal truth I’ve found is that there is no such thing as cheap horsepower. To add horsepower to something that you are rebuilding typically costs as much or more than starting with the right motor to begin with. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just something I’ve noticed over the years.

Blueally XB21

Thanks guys. I've decided we are just going back stock with it. It's my brothers engine and he gets nervous going to fast anyway. Lol. It will make him a good motor in stock form. I appreciate all of your comments and suggestions.