2014 3.5L Ecoboost or 2014 5.0L V8???

GotMyAlly

There's as many stories good and bad as there are truck owners, agreed. I've heard of the trubo issue with shuddering and hesitating when putting the pedal to it in some instances with high moisture situations but also heard that issue was resolved.

You saying you get 26 MPG average and about 4 less when towing with a V6 Dodge Ram?? And that's gas or diesel?
Not many of the diesel (3.0L vm motori) Ram's out there. THe first round of production went quick. Now I hear Toyota is working on a 5.0 cummins. I've said all along Dodge should have picked a bigger diesel for the 1/2 ton application. The 3.0 is targetted for MPG, but those that want tow power in a half ton may be swayed to the Toyota line for the 5.0 cummins.

Still the 3.0 diesel ram by all reports will put down 28-29 mpg unloaded on the highway, and one review showed 19 mpg with a 7k lb trailer in tow. 420 ft-lb's of torque at 2k RPM is nothing to sneeze at.......

RBT

Not many of the diesel (3.0L vm motori) Ram's out there. THe first round of production went quick. Now I hear Toyota is working on a 5.0 cummins. I've said all along Dodge should have picked a bigger diesel for the 1/2 ton application. The 3.0 is targetted for MPG, but those that want tow power in a half ton may be swayed to the Toyota line for the 5.0 cummins.

Still the 3.0 diesel ram by all reports will put down 28-29 mpg unloaded on the highway, and one review showed 19 mpg with a 7k lb trailer in tow. 420 ft-lb's of torque at 2k RPM is nothing to sneeze at.......
Diesel power mag has a great write up on it vs. the 2500 cummins. It did shockingly well.

Yes, I am getting 26 plus or minus 1 mpg in mixed driving. It is the v6 gas 4x4 with 8 speed. My 2012 HEMI got 17.

LakeAnna

Diesel power mag has a great write up on it vs. the 2500 cummins. It did shockingly well.

Yes, I am getting 26 plus or minus 1 mpg in mixed driving. It is the v6 gas 4x4 with 8 speed. My 2012 HEMI got 17.
That's going to be the new thing with all of them going with a hot little turbo d.
26! The 2500 gets 17 or less in town and 12-14 towing.

champ198

I have an Ecoboost F150. The air charge coolers work so well that moisture is condensing in the air charge cooler and getting sucked into the motor during heavy acceleration. This causes misfires and the shuddering and then the unburnt fuel going out collects and ignites in the cat and then melts the cat over time (covered by the emissions warranty).

Ford "fixed" mine by putting a huge piece of plastic across my air charge cooler blocking 75% of it (to not allow the air to cool down as much rendering the turbo less effective). Apparently, they have tried and failed to make it better. Their cost effective "remediation plan" is to dumb down the motor vs. really investing in correcting the root cause issue (poorly designed turbo system). You would think Ford would have learned their lesson with turbos on the 2008 6.4 PowerStroke Navistar engines that were ingesting moisture and suffered the exact same issue as the 3.5 EcoBoost. This is not a new issue for Ford.

I'm not getting the mileage (21 mpg) I got when the truck was new, mainly getting what the 5.0 V8 gets. To sum up, go 5.0 and not worry about turbos.

Allyfishing

I have an Ecoboost F150. The air charge coolers work so well that moisture is condensing in the air charge cooler and getting sucked into the motor during heavy acceleration. This causes misfires and the shuddering and then the unburnt fuel going out collects and ignites in the cat and then melts the cat over time (covered by the emissions warranty).

Ford "fixed" mine by putting a huge piece of plastic across my air charge cooler blocking 75% of it (to not allow the air to cool down as much rendering the turbo less effective). Apparently, they have tried and failed to make it better. Their cost effective "remediation plan" is to dumb down the motor vs. really investing in correcting the root cause issue (poorly designed turbo system). You would think Ford would have learned their lesson with turbos on the 2008 6.4 PowerStroke Navistar engines that were ingesting moisture and suffered the exact same issue as the 3.5 EcoBoost. This is not a new issue for Ford.

I'm not getting the mileage (21 mpg) I got when the truck was new, mainly getting what the 5.0 V8 gets. To sum up, go 5.0 and not worry about turbos.

Thanks for the info Duane. Just curious though, what year is yours and did Ford do anything to change or modify the new eco's after yours? I've read somewhere that it was "fixed" or is that the fix you described for new and old vehicles?

I've been leaning toward the 5.0L V8!!

GotMyAlly

I test drove a 5.0 a couple years ago and was surprised by it's get-up-and-go. But that was unloaded.......can't speak for how it tows.

xb03fs

I tow with a 2002 Trailblazer, how much get up and go do you need with an Allison..I can tow 75 mph pretty comfortable. Its a little slow off the line but once i.m above 10 mph plenty of power even enough to pass cars on 2 lane roads?

Its even got 4 low for days when the ramps covered in mud or the trailer drops off the slab into the prop wash holes...

xb03fs

Yeah I need a better tow vehicle but I wanted a bad *** boat! Ill probably need a better tow vehicle but get a better outboard next!

champ198

Thanks for the info Duane. Just curious though, what year is yours and did Ford do anything to change or modify the new eco's after yours? I've read somewhere that it was "fixed" or is that the fix you described for new and old vehicles?

I've been leaning toward the 5.0L V8!!
I have a '12. There were several iterations of repairs by Ford to correct the issue involving new air charge cooler designs, reprogramming the ECU, etc. Nothing worked. I don't know what the new models rolling off the line have. Going back to non-turbo V8 after this truck.

Brack

I have a 2013 ecoboost lariat 4x4,…….17k miles,…...no issues

I think it would be fun to play with a tuner, air intake system and exhaust system

BigRedAlli

Do they have tuners for them yet? I know that's the only way your going to get anymore power out of them. The PCM is very "smart" if it sees Any abnormal boost, it will cut the power by limiting the throttle actuator. Btw, the turbo is only working at about 1/3 of its capabilities at wot. They'll make 30+ psi.

Last edited:

reward69

I dont have the 5.0 but I have a 6.2 in my F150 and my wife has the 3.5 ecoboost in her explorer. I run both tuned with Livernois and I must say the ecoboost is a good running motor. The tune gives you 100lbft more torque and about 60+ hp. My wifes explorer lifetime mileage is almost 19 and thats with quite a few miles towing a two horse trailer.

Brack

Ive been looking at the SCT wireless system,.......you can tune it with a I-phone or a I-pad,.......its got good reviews also

Allyfishing

I have a '12. There were several iterations of repairs by Ford to correct the issue involving new air charge cooler designs, reprogramming the ECU, etc. Nothing worked. I don't know what the new models rolling off the line have. Going back to non-turbo V8 after this truck.
Thanks again Duane. I'll go with the 5.0L V8 F150 if I do decide to trade in my F250.

I joined the F150 forum and found very good info on there as well. Yes, there are aftermarket tuners and mods for the Ecoboost that have increased performance and helped with the issue you described but I'm not knowledgeable enough to go that route.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Craig

njj502

I'm potentially selling my 99 and my 10 Fusion... Local dealer has a new leftover 13 ecoboost and he's knocked ten grand off the sticker over the phone. We will see