2014 3.5L Ecoboost or 2014 5.0L V8???

Allyfishing

Well, I made up my mind. If i do end up trading it will be a 5.0L V8 F150. Talked to too many people locally here in my area that don't like their eco. Not the fuel mileage they expected and towing was even worse. Not to mention the turbo issues some have expereinced.

And a fella I know has the 5.0L and pulls his boat and a full pick up bed full of luggage and heavy cargo for a 6 hour Canada fishing trip with no desire or need for more pulling power.

Vance

I think you will be happy with the 5.0. Don't remember if your 250 was a diesel or not. Seems like im always pulling long distances between New Orleans and Knoxville or New Orleans to Memphis. Would be nice to have the torque of a diesel when pulling thru the hills. But the trade off with the 5.0 is good as I don't always have the boat behind me.

John S

Just did a trip from Akron to Louisville in my Silverado with the 5.3, got 21.7 mpg round trip, light load. My opinion is if you're going to go smaller displacement, you should go diesel.

allimax

Toyota line for the 5.0 cummins.

Pretty sure that's Nissan working on that at their Tennessee plant.

Still the 3.0 diesel ram by all reports will put down 28-29 mpg unloaded on the highway, and one review showed 19 mpg with a 7k lb trailer in tow. 420 ft-lb's of torque at 2k RPM is nothing to sneeze at.......
I think it's just you and me on this one. I say get the truck, tell the sales guy you're going to hook up your boat and head for the biggest hill to try it. One other point is a 3/4 has a bigger braking system. Not a problem if you have brakes on the trailer, I don't on my Boatmate and have had the rotors hot a few times in the mountains.

GotMyAlly

I think it's just you and me on this one. I say get the truck, tell the sales guy you're going to hook up your boat and head for the biggest hill to try it. One other point is a 3/4 has a bigger braking system. Not a problem if you have brakes on the trailer, I don't on my Boatmate and have had the rotors hot a few times in the mountains.
That won't be a problem. My dad is director of operations for a company that owns multiple dealerships. They have a Dodge store. I can probably take one home for a night to try out.

I've got trailer brakes on mine. If anything, they're over-sensitive on this one. I've never experienced the half ton brakes being insufficient for towing a bass boat.

allimax

What scares me the most is how all the new vehicles are made now and I believe the quality is not as good as it was 10 years ago. All of them are using factory parts made in a communist country, need I say where? The engineers have to design these vehicles to assemble quick and there is no concern for repairing them later. Think your 2000 _____ is expensive to fix, you haven't seen anything. Example: 08 Edge, 3.5, water pump went bad, it's driven by the timing chain, well lots of cars have the pump driven by the timing belt but if they leak it doesn't pump the engine crankcase full of coolant. New oil looked like a milkshake within a minute. Motor trashed. Rear axle seal leaking on a 08 Nissan P/U. Can't just pull the axle out and put a new seal in like the old days. TSB says buy the new re-designed axle assembly. $20 seal or $500 axle, the labors about the same. Even if you want to just do the seal you have a bearing, spacer ABS tone ring, etc in the way so better off to just buy the axle. What the h*ll are we doing, it sure isn't about the consumer anymore. Sorry, I needed to vent.

reward69

What scares me the most is how all the new vehicles are made now and I believe the quality is not as good as it was 10 years ago. All of them are using factory parts made in a communist country, need I say where? The engineers have to design these vehicles to assemble quick and there is no concern for repairing them later. Think your 2000 _____ is expensive to fix, you haven't seen anything. Example: 08 Edge, 3.5, water pump went bad, it's driven by the timing chain, well lots of cars have the pump driven by the timing belt but if they leak it doesn't pump the engine crankcase full of coolant. New oil looked like a milkshake within a minute. Motor trashed. Rear axle seal leaking on a 08 Nissan P/U. Can't just pull the axle out and put a new seal in like the old days. TSB says buy the new re-designed axle assembly. $20 seal or $500 axle, the labors about the same. Even if you want to just do the seal you have a bearing, spacer ABS tone ring, etc in the way so better off to just buy the axle. What the h*ll are we doing, it sure isn't about the consumer anymore. Sorry, I needed to vent.
Good ole Bean counters my friend.... Top executives don't care about manufacturing and sustainability anymore. All they care about is keeping themselves (wallstreet) and keeping the money flowing. Everything over time will come full circle, though we may not be around to see it.

njj502

The cars are better now in my opinion but serviceability suffers. I just picked up an ecoboost and I can't believe how much it drives and pulls like a diesel. I'm really impressed

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Four doors are nice but what is up with the dinky short beds? I just got a Chebby with a 5' 8" bed and have wished 3 different times already that I got at least the 6'6 bed.

The little 5.3 is adequate but I sure miss my 02 Cummins 6 speed.

njj502

I don't know. I wish it was a 6.5' bed but buying a leftover 13 you don't get that chance....

dragmerc

i learned to drive in a 1965 ford truck, have had many ford trucks since then. never even looked at anything else. went to try out a new one 2 years ago. when the salesman started it, it revved to 3000rpm so he jerked it in gear to idle it down. he said that was normal. i stopped at gmc dealer on the way home and bought one. day and night quality difference. have you tried to change spark plugs in ford lately? they even make a special tool to get them out when the bottom half of the plug sticks in the head. craziest crap i've ever seen. you'll never see me in a ford again unless that's all there is. good luck with your ecoboost.

njj502

After my 05 GMC I swore em off. More nickle dime issues than anyone should have delt with on a new truck. Hell my 99 Silverado is better than the 05 ever would be. GM really went down hill from about 05-10/11. The new ones are really nice, any brand really. For hot rod stuff.... I'll never shy away from a Chevrolet..... LSx all the way.

I do love the ecoboost tho... Ran 215 miles today 60% 75mph and 40% 65mph and got 19.2mpg.

Allyfishing

well I made the switch to the 5.0L V8 and have no regrets. Excellent trade value on my F250 and traded for a crew cab. Pulled the boat, 30 cases of 30PK cans of beer and the remainder of the bed filled the tailgate with goodies for the rally. Even had to put a big cooler and 2 folding chairs in the boat under cover and still averaged 14.7MPG @ 70MPH all the way....except for the really big hills.

njj502

I just pulled 5700lbs with mine last weekend. Gotta say I was impressed! 65mph for about 100 miles and got just under 11mpg. Towing a tractor to not that sleek either...

GotMyAlly

well I made the switch to the 5.0L V8 and have no regrets. Excellent trade value on my F250 and traded for a crew cab. Pulled the boat, 30 cases of 30PK cans of beer and the remainder of the bed filled the tailgate with goodies for the rally. Even had to put a big cooler and 2 folding chairs in the boat under cover and still averaged 14.7MPG @ 70MPH all the way....except for the really big hills.
That's pretty good. Couple MPG better than what my hemi gets towing.