2016 XR-2002

scj

Being new to the purchase of a race boat, I found that a lot of things taken for granted on bass boats are optional on race boats due to custom requirements for how racers want their boats.
First thing is the gas tank.
Second, shifter
Third, seating and bracket types. i.e. Sliding, pin, fixed and now hinged......I'm posting a couple of pics of the hinged option on the 2016 XR-2002. It allows access to the rear compartment without pulling the rear seat.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

TMc

If any one needs an original 20 gallon aluminum fuel tank out of an XR02 I have one for sale needs clean up on the outside but the inside is spotless and it has a sender. $170 shipped.

scj

I went with the Allison XB-2002 tank as it has a sump in it which is important so as not to loose fuel pressure. Pretty much a straight forward installation except for where the hydraulic lines come across the top of the tank; I had to heat the corner of the tank and shape it slightly for hose routing without being pinched. Also, the engine connector harness cable has to be moved as it will not fit above the tank.
Now I have to tackle the Stainless Marine trim gauge........

whipper

There that guy on Scream and fly who makes real nice Billet shifters with the Allison sign CNC cut into them. That would be a nice shifter for a sweet boat like yours. 220 standard and 280 pistol grip.

scj

I'm not a fan of the exposed cable routing.
I went with an Eddie Marine shifter

whipper

i hear ya much cleaner when ya cant see it.;) He should modify that. He could easily have the cable down low and actuate from the bottom of the leaver wear it fastens on the inside of the panel.

scj

Eddie Marine's shifter does not give you the cable mounting bracket like the shifter's you've shown but it does not take much to make a mount that resides inside the gunnel that's bolted back into the shifter mounting holes. Plus, there's no way I'm installing the stock Mercury shifter way up on the gunnel and having it stick up like a tractor trailer rig shifter.
If the cable ever comes in, I'll post pictures of the install.

nort

i hear ya much cleaner when ya cant see it.;) He should modify that. He could easily have the cable down low and actuate from the bottom of the leaver wear it fastens on the inside of the panel.
Brent will make you whatever you want.
He developed that style for race boat guys that wanted simple & lightweight.
Ask and ye shall recieve.

XB03AllyProud

Brent is actually working on a hidden cable style where mechanics are inside gunnel. I just ordered the style in 1st pic Whipper posted as Brent said the other is still a while ahead. I'm rigging a XB02 Center Steer and will still be happy with the cable showing. The design bling cancelled the visible cable mechanism to me. I'm hoping to be in the water come August, better late than never.

XB03AllyProud

Yep, that's awesome looking. Everything about these new boats is awesome. If I didn't have some sentimental attachment to the XB02 I'm rigging I'd be all over one of them. Can't wait to see one in person.

scj

Thanks!

The real work is inside the gunnel in the backing plate I made that supports the cable mount, shifter and kill switch. I should of took a picture of it I guess as that took time measuring and laying out where everything mounts and fits together. I used a block of delfin that was on my XB-21 LSS2 structure scan transducer. It's light weight and provides exceptional support for backing on the gunnel wall.

For anyone installing a SM trim gauge, I drilled 4 holes instead of just the 2 per the directions. 2 for the mounting studs only then 2 inside those at the ends of indicator travel limits. I then slotted in between the inner two holes. Allison's backing plate in the dash is thick enough that I only had to add one washer each side to have it solid mounted, no springs needed.

scj

image.jpeg image.jpeg

A couple from last night.
The one at speed was appropriately 40 mph. Still breaking in the rebuild.
Super fun boat to drive and very confidence inspiring!
I ran it up to 78 mph and it felt like I was running 40 mph. I love the way it drives!!!

gmorgan

Woohoo!!! Keep the info coming. If you can't experience it in person, vicariously is next best thing. Looks great and have a ball.