225x vs 225

simpson_3

I’ve been looking at a couple outboards and wanted to know the difference between a 225x and a 225. I’m referring to mercury racing alien cowl engines.

chad202

40amp flywheel on 225 compared to 60amp altenator on 225X. The alien cowl models of the 225(98-00) had a recall that basically detuned the engine buy making changes in the computer and running colder plugs if I remember right. The X made more horsepower than the 225 but the 225 could be modified easier. The X used motorola boxes while the 225 used old school ecu.

David Lanham

X has a near bullet-proof oil injection pump. I have not heard a single oil pump failure on the X.
Not so for the previous gen promax.
X has o-ring type heads vs gasket for improved reliability.
As mentioned above, uses a car type alternator for higher charging and reliability.
The Xs ECU controls all the timing. Prev gen promax uses linkages.
according, to the internet, the prev gen promax throttle position sensor is no longer avl
The X TPS is the same as many other Merc motors, hence, it's available.
X has a totally different air-intake.
Too bad they're not made anymore.
I still got my year 2002 X.

simpson_3

X has a near bullet-proof oil injection pump. I have not heard a single oil pump failure on the X.
Not so for the previous gen promax.
X has o-ring type heads vs gasket for improved reliability.
As mentioned above, uses a car type alternator for higher charging and reliability.
The Xs ECU controls all the timing. Prev gen promax uses linkages.
according, to the internet, the prev gen promax throttle position sensor is no longer avl
The X TPS is the same as many other Merc motors, hence, it's available.
X has a totally different air-intake.
Too bad they're not made anymore.
I still got my year 2002 X.
So in terms of reliability, like a 2002 promax 225x would be more reliable then like a 1999 promax 225? What will eventually kill these engines? Because I have a 1998 225 sport with oil injection delete and I’ve never had an issue but I see some people blow their engines due to a failed injector