A few speed numbers.

chad202

I didn't get to try as many props as I planned due to the very windy conditions. The props I did try were a 26RE4, 28chopper(blades cut up the front of the hub), 28 ally cut chopper, 28 performer, 28 ally/bullet cut combo, and 26 chopper with a different kind of ET cut. All speeds were TM on, all my tackle and rods in front deck, two batteries(in front of fuel cell), on-board charger, tool box, and 1gal of oil in the port rear compartment and some water in the livewells. I filled up the fuel tank each day although I didn't have to, Just wanted to keep the speeds close to real world fishing conditions.

26ET-great holeshot but vibrated a good bit. Midrange was killer, acceleration was very hard. It topped out at 86.2mph-6800

28ally/bul cut-this prop seemed to have alot of slip from holeshot thru the whole rpm range. Not as much lift, didn't handle to good, topped out at 86.7-6800rpm

26RE4-great holeshot and great midrange with good handling. Prop hooks up very good on take off. Very stable prop. This one topped out at 87.9mph-6950rpm

28performer-good holeshot but worse of the props I tried. Midrange was also the slowest. Still good but just not as good as all the others. The diameter is 15" so I think that was why. This prop however handled the best. Didn't even have to drive the boat, very stable. It topped out at 89.6mph-6700rpm

28Ally cut-good holeshot, midrange and handling. I like the blades cut up the front of the hub but these were cut very high, 1 1/2"-2". It topped out at 89.9mph-6800rpm.

28chopper-Very good all around prop, holeshot was smooth, midrange was almost comparable to the 26s, lift was great and it topped out at 91.8mph-6750rpm.

What I find very strange is that even with a pretty good head wind, the speeds were with in 3/10 of one another going both ways. Head/tail wind made a big difference in my Blazer but don't seem to affect the Ally speeds. All speeds were aroud 1/8" below to even with the pad). I didn't adjust the jackplate, I feel this is about optimum setup for fishing heavy and runnning lite. I still have plenty water pressure and no hint of blowout. I'm sure I could've gotten another mph or two at 1/4" above but I felt safe at this height. I will run a 28ET and 26 Ally cut trophy in the very near future.

catfish123

Interesting reading Chad..........Your 26 ET ran exactly the same speed mine did into the limiter at 6850 with my 225X. I am interested in hearing how you make out with the 28 ET. Mine runs right at 90 mph fairly light or 89 with two people etc. For everyday boating, I still like a good old 26 Trophy. I hear the 27 Trophy runs well too but I haven't been able to try one. Good luck!

hack02

That is some pretty interesting reading. Alot of people forget just how good a plain old Merc Chopper prop really is. Fastest one in this group. Five mph faster than a 26et at fifty rpm less. And faster than an Ally cut 28.

CDave

hack, it's not a stock chopper. I use to own it. I do have a stock 26 big ear that runs almost identical to that 28, on my boat.