Allison vs STV or, not an "Allison Boat For Sale" thread

Dave Hensley

Allison vs STV, or, not an "Allison Boat For Sale" thread

Was wondering if there shouldn't be a place to continue the discussion on what speeds an Allison should be able to achieve that wasn't related to the mythical 2013/2014/2015 XR2002. Lots of good info is being thrown out but gets muddied by our opinions on why the XR2002 should be built and why it is not being built. Got to get to work this morning but will check back tonight to see if the thread gains any traction. If it does I have some ideas around how to walk the walk instead of talk the talk. There are board members who have much better ideas than I, just need to see if anyone is interested in doing something. "Allison Racers" seemed to fit best. There are a couple of threads over on Scream and Fly with discussions on the unlimited outboard record. Those have been lively to say the least. Might be a good time to get one stirring here. Still some winter left.

Last edited:

ally2dextreme

Im game! Ill even back the trailer in lol!........I got some sweet 30-32-34 original Tritons that may work,unless you want to go 150mph

Dave Hensley

TH and Skewby, doesn't look like there is much interest. Chin music is cheap! We will give folks a few days to find their way off the he said, she said thread !! No worries.

XXXR2001

I love Allys, race them and have never owned an STV but my money would be on the STV being faster given the same horsepower be it 150hp or 500hp. Note I didn't say it was quicker (it's not).

racerx

My 1st drag motor a 1997 we bolted the power head on a 4seater 1997 river rocket the powerhead had 38cc with a small ear 30 chopper took that liquid fancy gaffrig speedo to 125mph my buddy says no way he jumps in with a buddy and put it to 125mph I know when I got out my knees were shaking and his did the same,,,but that same set up with tighter heads couldn't beat the king at blarneys island so I put it on my xr2002 and it became the king of blarneys...

Lotus 50

You never hear about 150 HP STVs. I ran a lightly modified 150 XR4 on my SS for a long time. It would be something for an STV with light power to be faster. I hit 89 plus, never got my goal of 90.

And of course John Tiger got over 80 in an SS2000 with a 115 Etec. Could an STV do that?

I agree that an STV will be more stable and therefore ultimately faster with big power. Never drove an STV, but some training wheels would make me feel more comfortable...

XXXR2001

Thats getting after it for sure. Would like know what that powerhead on DezNuts STV would do.

Last edited:

allison8503

Horsepower to horsepower and weight for weight Allison's are the fastest and quickest. But there is no forgiveness in the Allison at the speeds we are talking about.

XXXR2001

Why are there several STV's that have cracked 130 but no Allisons? Ok there may be 1 or 2 Allys have done it with nitrous but I've never heard of it. Multiple stvs on motor only have done it. They've been making xr2001's for 24 years now so there has to have been plenty of crazy mofos out there who have tried.

Casey made a comment on the "quick or fast" thread about speed not being that big of deal as long as the boat is still accelerating hard. At some point a motor will stop pulling hard enough to keep the Ally's bow up and nothing good is going to happen when you get to that point. The stv doesn't have that issue so it's gonna eek out more mph. I think.

bullwhipjkg

100 in my 2002 is a rush
100 in my mirage not as much but the mirage gets there faster

same motor on both boats

David Shook

Common sense should tell you that a boat with two pads will be more stable and easier to drive than a boat with one pad , if you can't control the boat , it dosen't matter how much H P you have you ain't gonna go too fast , I've not set my *** in a sponson boat but it is easy to see if you go to the races they are a sunday ride compared to a v hull , why do you think my ole friend Dave drives an STV , He lights a smoke while he's making a run then smokes it on the way back to the starting line , ain't sure what he's smoking ?
It takes a lot more setup work for the v hull to go fast but again you got less **** in the water so with the right set the v would have to be the fastest ! Only thing about a sponson at speed is getting too much air under her , either way they will both bite you in the *** , I've always been an A boat man only thing I know, if any of yall buys a XR and don't want to mess up your hair , hollar I'd like to mash on one on top end ?
See you soon Dave , let me know if you want me to haul some of that cargo for you . that van is gonna explode someday!!!!!!
Shook

ally101

I have a 2001 with a drag motor and I turned it 8800 with a 187 and 28 yami the boat drove itself and felt better than ever. The motor was pulling hard but I new I was going faster than I needed to be. Unless something changes after 8800 that setup would run 130 easy. But I dam sure ain't trying. I would put every last penny I had on a seebold on the big end

RBT

Guido ran 171 peak when he set the 160 mph kilo in a DAC. Was right on the edge, but any way you look at it that is smokin. Big end on your Seebold without the bottle would take big balls.