ARP steering bolt reminder.

whipper

About 7 Years ago there was a bad crash from the steering bolt sheering off. We all got a reminder then to check the bolt with Sea Star steering. This bolt should be stamped ARP TFX on the head of it. Check yours and if it doesn't have this special high strength bolt you might try and order or find one to install. I found one at my local merc store. Your steering is held together with one single bolt. For 5 or 10 bucks what ever they are priced at now this bolt will save your life!! Just thought its been a while since anyone has brought this up and its so vital to our saftey i thought I would again for anyone who hasn't heard of it.

Hear is what happens when your steering just has a normal bolt NOT the high strength ARP stamped one.

whipper

Mine wasn't the right one and im pretty sure there are a lot of weak bolts out there still. You think a bolt is strong but compared to hydraulics a soft bolt going back and fourth so many times is allot of stress. So this high strength one is the only one that should be on there.

allimax

image.jpg Whipper, I owe you one. Read this post and decided I'd just go ahead and get a new bolt to replace the one in there. Look what I found. I couldn't read the paper tag under the old one but look at the stress on the top of the one I pulled out. The ARP bolt has a larger thicker head on it. I would bet when they fail the head shears the head off and looks to me like that one was really, really close to failing.

whipper

Good find!! Better safe than sorry since thats the only thing to replace that could end your boating for the season or for life!!:confused:

GotMyAlly

Good reminder. I don't think I ever checked this one....just assumed it came from the factory with the right bolt.

dubmoney

Does anyone have a recommendation where to get this ARP Bolt and excactly what the specifications, i.e. bolt type, length, thread, washer, nut, or even better yet the description off the ARP invoice?

dubmoney

Thanks FlatoutAlly!! I ordered mine from Crowley today. It looks like the the bolt and washer is 17 bucks and the nyloc nut for the bottom is 4 or 5 bucks, plus shipping. I will feel better when I get this little guy on my machine.

JWolff

I am trying to figure out which bolt that is cuz i dont see any ARP on mine. Am i looking in the right spot? Right where the motor pivots for the tilt trim?

Attachments

GotMyAlly

I am trying to figure out which bolt that is cuz i dont see any ARP on mine. Am i looking in the right spot? Right where the motor pivots for the tilt trim?
That bolt is specific to hydraulic steering. It doesn't apply to your cable setup.