Bad News about Reeds

JaySmithRacing

The Sport Jet reeds that I have suggested folks to try and put in so many motors that people rave about the idle and the longevity and just been superceded to a different number , one with a CS gusset on the end partitions and they DOUBLED the price........ Cost was $42.00 ish and now they are $82.00 ish just another inch of the blade being put into a loyal following of consumers by Mercury.......

I have talked to several platnium dealers TODAY that have voiced a concern for the viability of thier business now and in the future as they CANNOT get parts to repair thier customers broke motors! I'm sure a Mercury owner with a motor broke sitting at a dealership loves to hear that song and dance , and I'm sure in peak of season it will make him wanna by Black next OB he purchaces ...

Makes a man wanna go E-Tec or the Rice route and I can say as I see it Mercury shot thier own selves in the foot ( Naw head ! ) had a good thing going and as STUPID HIGH as the parts were HAD to be making a profit , but as so many businesses do by making BAD business moves loose a generation of loyal customers.........I have seen this at EXXON when you let young "bean counters" run your business , loyality of product and company ownership means NOTHING its the almighty $$$.......

Had my say and all is just my opinion !

GPI Racing

Jay,

All I can say is A-MEN to what you just wrote. I needed to order the cable bracket for a 260( the part under the injectors the remote cables lay into) from Mercury. It used to be an outragous $132. Now it is $435.......$435!!! for a piece of aluminum with a slot and some holes! I told Mark at Mercury I'm going to buy a mill and a lathe...make my own parts. With the money I save I could fund the machines and put myself though training.

We'll have to let them know our feelings at the Rally..nicely, but let them know it's nuts.

Randy

Yellowallison

Again i say.. I went by my uncles dealership yesterday to buy the EFI fuel cansister o-ring.. for the 300X that on my Lake boat..

It was 25.00 dealer cost fora freaking .20 cents O-RING!

Thatz why I'm racing OMC BABY this YR on my Ally drag boat!! cause 67.00 OMC wiesco pistons are hard to beat! compared to 230.00..

Said but true! Mercury's HP is going down the CHITTER!

pirogue

it sure is scary to hear all the stories, i guess we'll have to change brands or start machining our on parts and accesories.

think i'm going to throw up :oops:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
This could be an "opportunity in work clothes" for some forward-thinking business out there who would be willing to manufacture parts for the 2.5 motors.

Look at the Chevy smallblock as an example...around for decades...lots of aftermarket suppliers.

I hope this will happen and that the 2.5's will live forever!

pirogue

your right we may have to turn to people like wiesco and ask for development of better piston's, tony b. and wayne t. already has intakes and fuel delivery along with motec syst. galen b. can machine clamp brackets and other acces. we need some one in the rod, crank, and block department. it sucks to even talk like this.

Yellowallison

Randy...... Yu say!!

I told Mark at Mercury I'm going to buy a mill and a lathe...make my own parts. With the money I save I could fund the machines and put myself though training.
We'll have to let them know our feelings at the Rally..nicely, but let them know it's nuts.
Yeah myself and many others I know have done the same as you and had long conversations with Mark, Merwin, Tony and all the other Mercury HP boyz and expressed our feelings about all this..... But as we know itz not these boyz decision as to what going on at Merc HP..... Them boyzz want to continue building the HP motor we love too.. but its the bean counters at Mother Mercury that is doing all this cuttin..

Robert Moore(Long time Mercury guy)was good friends with a buddy of mine here in Florida that has an Allison... I rememebr 3-4 yrs ago he told us that we were seeing the last of the Mercury HP 2 stroke like 260,280,drags.. I didn't want to belive him.. and thought,,, ahh no way! but I guess he was right...

Well itz here........ Gueess we need to start sharpenign up on out Golfing skills cause racing as we know it will be soemthing of the past :oops: :oops: :oops:

DUUNN R GETT .. I guess

FlatOutAlly

yellowallison said:
...... Gueess we need to start sharpenign up on out Golfing skills cause racing as we know it will be soemthing of the past :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ain't that da truth. Like now fer instance, I could go to the lake and burn precious minutes of my motor's life or head to the course and look for birdies. Hmmmmmm.......Which will it be?

Fastfish

Merc til I Die

I'm a Black Blood 4ever in the years 2 come folks will B out @ the ramp and say remember when we we use 2 run a motor like that & they will hear it run & the smoke will bring a tear 2 there eye & a smile 2 there face I don't care what it cost I'll never give up on my beloved Merc.

FastFish/Geoff McMillan