Battery placement, XB2003

Jay Martin

I have a xb2003, Im down grading to a 24v troller with two batterys, was running 3 with 36v motor. Question is, Are most guy's running one in each wing or 2 on one side?
I'm guessing one in each wing.

Myron

mine is a side steer boat, and my 2 batteries are in the port side, when I run by myself it is setup perfect

chad202

Jay, if you bought your boat from Killah, I'd run one is the port wing and the other in front the fuel tank on the port side.

GotMyAlly

Mine's a center steer. When I ran 2 wet cell batts, I had one in each wing.

Now I have two optimas in the left wing and cranking batt in the right wing.

pickwickangler

Mine is center steer and I have one in each wing. When running top end I have to lean to the left to balance the boat so I would probably recommend one in front of the tank and the other in the port wing.

Jay Martin

Jay, if you bought your boat from Killah, I'd run one is the port wing and the other in front the fuel tank on the port side.
It's Killah's old ride. He had two battery's in the port wing, or at least thats how I got it from him. Right now I have 2 in the port and 1 in the starboard along with a Dual pro charger thats at least 15-20 lb's thats also on the starboard.
I might leave the two in the port and leave the heavy battery charger where it's at in the starboard, what do you guy's think.
Guess the best thing do is put the level on it at the lake...

hullbilly

I have the side slide bracket in my boat and a large battery in each wing. With the center steer configuration, my boat is balanced very well. However, with the side steer configuration my boat has a significant right lean

Therefore, if you are setting your boat up with side steer, my experience would point to needing more weight on the port/left side to balance your body weight. With a passanger, I'd suggest one battery in each wing.

Nothing like testing though for your specific setup.

Good Luck!

GotMyAlly

When you put them in front of the tank, you are moving that weight forward. In my case, it hurt top end....took a little more trim to get the boat running clean. That may not be the case if you've removed the pad lip, as it should have more bow lift with the lip gone anyway. With the lip, you have more stern lift so it should carry the rearward weight better. I didn't like the way mine drove with the batts in front of the gas tank, so I moved them back to the wingtips after a couple of trips. I've ran my boat with several setups:

1) a wet cell group 27 in each wingtip
2) 2 optimas in front of the gas tank
3) 2 optimas in front of the gas tank and a cranking battery in the left compartment
4) 2 optimas in the left compartment adn a cranking battery in the right compartment

#4 is actually my favorite configuration. the 2 optimas plus the cranking batt together weigh almost exactly what the 2 group 27s weighed, but i have a little more weight on the left side at rest which balances out perfectly on the top end.

chad202

That lip is modified. I cut it down to around .025-030. Jay, if you need the weight far left for balance, I suggest placing one battery in the rear of the port and one in the front of the port. If you can get by side/side, place one in the rear of the port and one in front the tank on the port side. Even when my lip was modified and not removed, mine was faster with them in front the tank. Place one in each side compartment and slowed down... Just try several different ways and you'll find the sweet spot.

Jay Martin

That lip is modified. I cut it down to around .025-030. Jay, if you need the weight far left for balance, I suggest placing one battery in the rear of the port and one in the front of the port. If you can get by side/side, place one in the rear of the port and one in front the tank on the port side. Even when my lip was modified and not removed, mine was faster with them in front the tank. Place one in each side compartment and slowed down... Just try several different ways and you'll find the sweet spot.
Thats the way I got it, port front and rear..If thats the case, All I need to do is remove the one in the starboard side.
I'll try that combo first.

bigtis

I normally set up the o3 to run right with just the driver. especially when it's a side steer. when I add passengers, we compensate weight eslewhere to make it stabalize. I DON"T like the weight of 3 batteries:soap box

An o3 can be reel fun when you pull off the windsheild and the troller. they act more simular to an 02 sorta feel then.

FlatOutAlly

Boat seem to handle much better with two batterys in the port wing. Thanks guy for all the advice..
Gilmore say: Put the appropriate amount of beer in the appropriate cooler in that port wing and you'll need to move a battery, maybe both..... trust me. GPI learnt more from Scott than all the Malibu and Coke that ever flowed.