bunk slides

woodsman

Guys, has anyone ever tried the plastic bunk rail slides and it not hurt your hull?
I am going to be redoing my trailer soon and was thinking of installing, but as always wanted some sound advice first.

whipper

I wouldn't because i believe allisons need the wider softness of the carpet or equivalent. Ive heard that even left on the trailer for extended periods with the tie downs on hard the bunks in the heat can actually warp the bottom. Once out on the water the shape comes back. I cant verify this to be true or not just what I was told by an old time Allison owner.

For this reason I always back off the back straps and front winch so the hull just rests on the bunks.

Also the plastic would leave marks. Ive also looked at doing this but decided against it. The hull is more secure with carpet than any hard material also. More forgiving on the roads as Carpet acts like a cushion. Just the way I see it.

allimax

After a bunch of research lately on re-doing the bunks on mine I decided the most reasonable place to get the 20oz. carpet to cover the new bunks I'll be making for mine was directly through Boat mate. Now as far as the correct height and angle to cut the uprights, I'm not there yet. My plan is to do what Catfish did a few years back and cut 2x8's down so the rear is off the roller and the nose will drop down some so the gap isn't as large. Anyone with experience or advice here please chime in!

woodsman

Yeah I have the same problem with my rig. The nose is around an inch from the roller when there is no tension. My boat also is resting on the front bottom roller and I do not like that at all. Its not a good thing but, its good to know im not alone or unique to this problem.

whipper

What about grooving out that roller or a lower one? The center bunk can be shimmed so ther bow stays clear of the cross member. Mines about an inch from the roller and the front center bunk. The side bunks must be angled a little tilted back.

allimax

I was thinking tilt the front of the bunks down. Looks like about a 3/4" increase in height on the rear and about 1/4" higher on the front of the upright. This would set the bow down 1/2" closer to the nose roller. The front frame roller is still an issue. Die grind the pin down here for the roller. It