Calling jimmyb...225X Spark Plug Advice

David Lanham

Jimmy

Is there any latest info on what plugs to use on the 225X.

My 2002 came with BPR8EVX. Last time i ordered them through NAPA they said they've beed discontinued and to use: BPR8ES. Said it was the same plug but not Irrudium Tipped.

I just got back from a 4 day camping trip and my X was down on power and had a miss above 5K RPM. Felt like the plugs were fouling. The 8ES have only been in for about 2 hours engine time. my X is up to 140 hours total time

Sure hope it's just the plugs as it's prob too late to trouble shoot and fix anything else in time for the Rally.

Thanks
David

catfish123

Good question............Sparkplugs.com lists BPR8EIX as the replacement, of course NGK does not make that plug...........LOL

jimmyb

merc sparkplug number = 33-885185

the system is showing that 400+ plugs are available at mercury...

you have the right NGK number (BPR8EVX) and i know NGK still supplies merc the plug (otherwise they would be asking us to change our print to a different plug). I dont know why they arent available elsewhere, as i have no control over that :(

catfish123

Hard to believe that NGK would make a plug exclusively for Mercury. I talked to them twice, and they said they don't make that plug anymore. Merc dealers probably are getting around $17-18 a plug and you used to be able to buy them elsewhere for around $6 a plug. This whole thing still makes no sense to me.

jimmyb

understood catfish...

all i know is that mercury has inventory of the plugs...

David Lanham

I picked some up from the merc HP dealer near Louisville, KY today.

$18/plug.

i just hope it fixes my problem. i'm going to try it out first thing in the morning

David Lanham

The new plugs (BPR8EVX) fixed the miss problem; My X is back in action- 96.2 at the 6850 limit, 30 re mazco.

the recommended replacemnt plug fouled in less than 2 hours.

i'm just glad it was the plugs and nothing else, so Rally here we come.

i just ordered 6 more plugs at the huge price so i should be good in plugs for the next few years.

thanks for the update jimmy

david

jimmyb

glad to hear it is back up and running...

as for plugs fouling out, you might want to try cleaning a fouled plug with a soft wire brush (with copper/brass bristles) and some degreasing spray... the BPR6EVX plugs "should" last a real long time...

JR

The apparent reason that the plug went obosolete is that its main use was in Polaris PWC that are now obosolete.
JR

JR

The apparent reason that the plug went obosolete is that its main use was in Polaris PWC that are now obosolete.
JR

GrandLakeGAR

The local O'Reilly's located some in the North Little Rock warehouse. I bought two sets today for $5.49 ea. Ordered as NGK6843. My Polaris PWC uses BR9ES, same plugs as my Kawasaki. GAR

David Lanham

I've had to purchase three sets the last few weeks @ 18.50 each.

i'm afraid to tally of the total cost.

My 225X is sick, it's fouling plugs every two hours. i had to buy extra sets to make it through the rally. it was worth it though.

We don't have oRiley part stores in Indiana.

Hum, is someone willing to buy a set or two from O Rileys for me, i'll send you money up front.

jimmyb

something is wrong if you are fouling plugs... have the coils checked out and see if there is any faults recorded on the DDT or a laptop

David Lanham

Jimmy

saturday morning, during the rally, i took my rig to Glen Reynold's shop. His mechanic ran the DDT, there was no trouble faults. he fired all the coils, they checked out fine. the plugs were real wet and dark.

looking inside the throtle body showed accumilated fuel at the bottom of the air intake canister, not much, maybe 1/16 inch deep of fuel. the front side of the reed plate was also wet, the mechanic said this is not normal. he then removed the air intake to inspect the reeds from the front; they looked okay. the fule presuure was okay with no indication of a leaky fuel rail or leaky injector. he still thinks it might be a bad reed blowing fuel back in front of the reeds.

the motor runs good and has normal power if the plugs are okay, i foulded a set of new BPR8EVX at the rally in two hours or so of engine time.

we installed new plugs at glens and she ran fine to finsinsh up the rally in fine order, Brain can contest to that, least i hope so. lol

for now, i'm just going to run it then at the end of the season send the injectors off for test and inpsection, rebuild the fuel rail and remove the reeds completly for further inspection.