Can't break 60 in xtb

jeremy hood

Needing some prop setup tips. Here's what I've tried 25 chopper 2"below pad 52mph 25"laser 2 from 7/8 below up to level with pad have gotten a best of 58 trimming up to a 14' rooster tail and back down. It just doesn't seem to want to lift the bow and can only get back to the seat out the water with a coned 150 turning to 5600-5800(rev limited) Any tips on props ? Since me rev limit is so low do you think it'll turn a 27,28 or more?

jeremy hood

Defineatly possible but the coil packs were supposed to be fresh last summer. (New motor) If it's turning to the rev limiter the speed should still be there though right?

jeremy hood

1.87 gears and I'll do a compression check. Am I wrong in thinking that if the rpm is there the speed should be too? I know losing rpm will result in lower top speed but it's turning as hard as the electronics will let it.

jeremy hood

I'll try that and the compression . I'm really thinking I'm not getting it out the water far enough. I've only heard the water chattering on the bottom once for a short time.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much setback are you running? I'd look at props first. With 1.87 gears, you're at almost 20% slip so the prop is definitely not hooking up. That's also evidenced by the big rooster tail and boat not picking up. You're also really limited by that low rev limit, but you should still be able to get mid 60s with a 25 pitch prop. See if you can find a 25 or 26 trophy plus to try. I've not heard of many running laser 2 props on an Allison and liking them. What was your rpm with the 25 chopper at 52mph?

xb03

Laser 2 is not a good surfacing prop, run the chopper at a half below.

jeremy hood

5600 is all I have turned any of them. The rev limit on the plate is 5800 but I've only seen 5600-5700 on the guage even when trimmed way to high. Just figure my tach may be a touch off. Do you think it'll turn a 27 or 28 since I'm only gonna turn it below 6k rpm?

xb03

The distance in between the back of the transom and where the motor bolts up at.

jeremy hood

About 5 rods 5 life jackets in the front and a 5lb anchor. 25lb of tools in the center bin between the seats. Battery rt side in front of fuel cell 10" sub and 15lb anchor back left with a 2 bank charger and the amp in the back rt compartment. Havnt had it long enough to set it up like i want it. Got plenty of plans for the winter though.

jeremy hood

That's what I was thinking, just need to find another prop I guess. I want to go as steep as I can because id like to only buy one and I don't pull and usually run a light load. What effect will the 9 more inches of setback that silverbullet02 was talking about have on it? As I said I'm still trying to figure out what all the different tuning tricks do.

Last edited:

jeremy hood

Ok I'll try that. If the rain holds this weekend she's going to the landing stripped down as a $2 hooker. Just a prop wrench , 2 3/4" wrenches and a tape measure.

Mrbuck50

I have an XTB and am running 14" of setback on a 225 ProMax. I usually have my fishing gear in the boat as that is its primary function......fishing. I am running even with pad. I have a skid planer and cavataion plate installed. I was running the Trophy 26 with pretty good results. Mind you my max speed thus far is 71......but that is due to my inexperience. I know there is more speed in that prop. I currently have a 25 Pro Max prop installed. I lost a bit on holeshot.....but OMG has it got mid range. Still only 71 as my top speed, but I'll get there. I would highly recommend either of those props.

Bobalouie

I think setback is the issue. I wouldnt spend a dime on props until you get at least 12" of setback on there. Use the prop money for a new plate. That is going to make a huge difference, and I really dont think it will effect your holeshot at all. Your boat is not properly balanced front to rear with that light of a motor and only 5".

My old boat was a lightweight and had 7" on it when I got it. I couldnt get the boat to respond to trim at all, and it took too much trim to get her going. I switched to a 10" plate and it made a HUGE difference. Drove like it was supposed to. Your boat being heavier will require more setback to get similar results, so get it into the 12-14" range and you will see a huge difference.

Tld

Probationary User
Running 200XS with 14" setback and the same 25 promax as Mrbuck50. May sound strange but 72 is top speed with this set up. 1/8" below the pad is where it likes to run.

Everything I have read about the XTB says you need more setback. Like the other guys are suggesting.