Can't break 60 in xtb

Discussion in 'Setup' started by jeremy hood, Jun 11, 2017.

1. jeremy hood

jeremy hood Member

That's what I was thinking, just need to find another prop I guess. I want to go as steep as I can because id like to only buy one and I don't pull and usually run a light load. What effect will the 9 more inches of setback that silverbullet02 was talking about have on it? As I said I'm still trying to figure out what all the different tuning tricks do.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  2. pkstv

pkstv Active Member

Help you bow lift for sure , but might hurt your hole shot a little . Try moving that 25 lb tool box to the rear of the boat to see how it affects the lift . You may be able to have that prop worked with more cup to lift it up !

podslammed likes this.
  3. jeremy hood

jeremy hood Member

Ok I'll try that. If the rain holds this weekend she's going to the landing stripped down as a $2 hooker. Just a prop wrench , 2 3/4" wrenches and a tape measure.

4. Mrbuck50

Mrbuck50 Active Member

I have an XTB and am running 14" of setback on a 225 ProMax. I usually have my fishing gear in the boat as that is its primary function......fishing. I am running even with pad. I have a skid planer and cavataion plate installed. I was running the Trophy 26 with pretty good results. Mind you my max speed thus far is 71......but that is due to my inexperience. I know there is more speed in that prop. I currently have a 25 Pro Max prop installed. I lost a bit on holeshot.....but OMG has it got mid range. Still only 71 as my top speed, but I'll get there. I would highly recommend either of those props.

5. jeremy hood

jeremy hood Member

How many rpm at 71mph and what's your gear ratio?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  6. Bobalouie

Bobalouie Active Member

I think setback is the issue. I wouldnt spend a dime on props until you get at least 12" of setback on there. Use the prop money for a new plate. That is going to make a huge difference, and I really dont think it will effect your holeshot at all. Your boat is not properly balanced front to rear with that light of a motor and only 5".

My old boat was a lightweight and had 7" on it when I got it. I couldnt get the boat to respond to trim at all, and it took too much trim to get her going. I switched to a 10" plate and it made a HUGE difference. Drove like it was supposed to. Your boat being heavier will require more setback to get similar results, so get it into the 12-14" range and you will see a huge difference.

dubmoney, pkstv and jeremy hood like this.
  7. Tld

Tld Probationary User

Running 200XS with 14" setback and the same 25 promax as Mrbuck50. May sound strange but 72 is top speed with this set up. 1/8" below the pad is where it likes to run.

Everything I have read about the XTB says you need more setback. Like the other guys are suggesting.

8. jeremy hood

jeremy hood Member

Update: tried a 25 cleaver (because it was there) found alot more speed but only took it to 60ish. Felt loose as hell and got away from me on the way down. Didn't hook but got my attention. Put on a 26 big eared chopper and ran into the 60's with alot more stability. Didn't push my luck because I've got less than 10 hours in the boat. I'll be ordering a set of brackets from bill to get more setback for sure but it's amazing the difference different style props even with the same pitch will make on these boats. Thanks again for all of your help and ideas.

9. scj

scj Active Member

jeremy hood likes this.
  10. jeremy hood

jeremy hood Member

^ that's why I love this page!

11. cruzintld

cruzintld Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  12. jeremy hood

jeremy hood Member

Found my prop! 28 4 blade hoss. First time I've been able to hold the boat with confidence with all it had. Lost 200 rpm on top bit gained so much stability. Going to move the motor up a little to see if I can find the lost rpm. If not it's time for more hp! Thanks for all the great advice.

pkstv likes this.
  13. jeremy hood

jeremy hood Member

Update: added a 28" 4 blade hoss and an efi 200 with a coned case. Ran it to low 60's with at about 5400 and 1/8 above the pad. With just me and about 150 pounds in the left side of the boat it leans hard to the right. (185lb driver) with 2 in the boat it rides level but I'm steady steering to the left and it's hard to turn the wheel to the left. Drove it probably a mile at that speed today and it takes both hands to turn it left. Easy to the right. Any suggestions? I reblead the seastar and not much changed.

14. Kmack

Kmack Active Member

There are some torque tabs which attach to the skeg which help some with torque steer. I think TH Marine used to make them.

podslammed likes this.
  15. jeremy hood

jeremy hood Member

I've got one and it's still pretty stiff. Do different lower units make that big of a difference in handling? Wondering if I need this one worked or if it maybe in the steering.

16. silverbullet02

silverbullet02 Super Moderator Staff Member

when you get the setup dialed in it should steer much easier.

jeremy hood likes this.
  17. jeremy hood

jeremy hood Member

Bent my skeg over about a 1/4" (wasn't exactly straight) freed it up alot. It's getting better and better every trip. This is definitely a tinkering man's boat.

18. dubmoney

dubmoney Active Member

I may have dyslexia, but tell me if this is true. If you have no torque tab the boat will want to steer right, if you have too much torque tab the boat will want to steer left. I am in the process of grinding my torque tab down so it will go straight. (of course it would be opposite if you have counter rotating lower unit)