Changing the oitch of a propeller?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
How much can you go up in pitch on a prop from what it was original cast as? I am looking for a 30 pitch chopper. I can turn a 28pitch 15" 4 blade Drag IV to 6k maybe even a little past that to around 6100. I am thinking in a 3 blade I will need to be in a 30 pitch. I have seen a few 28 pitch props for sale but, wondering if they can be made 30 pitch propellers if 28 isn't enough?

TBuck2003

You can only change the effective pitch by one inch. You can bend them a ton out at the tip, but not at all close to the hub. So when you average that out it turns out to be about one inch. People sometimes put more cup in the prop to kill rpms but that is a mask for pitch, not true pitch...

whipper

I hate chopper props as every one i have owned has cracked!! The only chopper prop I would ever consider not a cracker is the newer chopper 2,s. All the others small ear and big ear run good until they crack or sling a blade. Tip cup in the drag 3 and 4,s work great and Todds props run fast and wont sling also. Old choppers scare me.:]