Checking / Setting the timing on a 1992 Mariner Mag3 150 HP

Blue Gray in PA

I did some searching and can't find any good info on how to check the timing onmy engine. I'm looking to make sure it's correct now since I cn't get the RPM's up above 5600 and may want to change it later. Can I use an automotive inductive light and how do I use and adjust the timing? Do I need any special tools for this check? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

jimmyb

blue, you should spend $30 and get the service manual for your motor... it will walk you thru setting up the timing (and just about everything else that you could do to the motor)

Blue Gray in PA

I do have the service manual but I'm not at home today - travel as usual. If the service manual spells out the procedure, I'm sure I will be fine. Thanks for the quick reply Jimmy - I still owe you a dinner as soon as I get to WI.

brotherxb03

You should check your seting on your timing pointer with a dial indicator 1st to your mota specks. Then you need your plugs out and grounded and if it has a timing advance module it need's to be disconected 1st. Then crank it with a hot battery a WOT and set it to specks.