Compartment Lining

Ocktane

Anyone have any ideas for me; I'm thinking about removing the carpet from inside the lockers on my XTB to reduce mildew and water buildup. What would be a good, light, waterproof material that I could put down in its place so that all my gear isn't bouncing around against the fiberglass? And where might I purchase such a material. I already pull the carpet piece out of the ski locker (never to return it) as it had turned that rarely used locker into a nasty cesspool, lol! Anyhoo, just looking for suggestions. I'm never done thinking of ways to make this XTB better! I think about the time I get it how I'd like it, I'll prolly be looking to upgrade to another Ally, haha!

Darth VMAX

The rubber mesh is nice, but I would wonder how it would hold up to hook snags...same with the neoprene.

Allyfishing

Ah man, there was a restored XB2002 by Randy Sawyer at the rally two years ago and from a distance it looked like carpet. But when ya walked up to it and actually touched it, it was more like a vinyl but not real hard. Difficult to describe but really neat!! That's what I would glue fast to the inside of a locker.

I'm looking for the rubbery/foamy material that ya see on the underside of some boat manufacturers lids and especially the cooler. I would like to get some to glue to the underside of my cooler lid for more insulation.

SLOmofo

Ocktane

I didn't even consider the hook snags. I use those rod socks in my locker all the time though. After I broke a brand new rod pulling it out of the locker last year cause it was snagged on another i decided socks were a good eye deer!

F2008

.......Anyhoo, just looking for suggestions.......

Check McMaster - Carr, they sell everything ever made on the planet.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-foam-sheets/=irbbyf

......I'm looking for the rubbery/foamy material that ya see on the underside of some boat manufacturers lids and especially the cooler. I would like to get some to glue to the underside of my cooler lid for more insulation.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-foam-sheets/=irbc60

F2008

Well !, I know for a fact they don't sell rubber chickens! Well at least in pink and chartreuse carbon fiber ! :rolling eyes
In their completed form, yes that is true. .......but you can buy everything you'd need to build one yourself. :big grin

loop

something to consider
I did the floor of my old scout with this material. Its anti fatigue mat for shop floors and comes in a 4'x8' sheet for $25 at Sears ($19.95 at Pep Boys)
I glued it down with contact adhesive. It conforms pretty nice and you can heat it with a heat gun to help it stretch just a little in the tricky spots.
It cuts easily with a VERY sharp razor blade. Utility knife blades didnt cut near as good.
with a little effort you can make the seams almost invisible,especially in corners.
Its closed cell foam so its water proof, right at 1/4" thick and extremely light.
the worst thing ive found about it was that the diamond pattern was a little inconsistent.If it were better I would replace all my Allisons carpet with it.
Cant say exactly how durable its gonna be but not seeing any wear yet and I drive the Scout every weekend,weather permitting

Attachments

Ocktane

That doesn't look too shabby at all, I may have to check it out. Def. would wanna make sure its glued down well though like you said Gary.

woodsman

Im looking to do the same thing to my xtb in the winter if money permits. Was wondering what I could use also. I thought of using the roll on carpet material you see in like overtons and bass pro and places, just wonndered about the mildew though.