Cornplot time in TN!!!

RedAllison

MAN am I pumped for this fall!!! With the exceptionally wet and cool spring and early summer we've had this year, this fall will be a BONUS YEAR for rackdaddies! The record books clearly show wet springs/summers like we've had this year REALLY show their merit in the following fall. The antler growth I've already seen on my place this year has been EXCEPTIONAL and the weather doesn't seem to be letting up either. One buck that was already WELL outside his ears was seen the week of Memorial Day! In late Jan/early Feb I saw SEVERAL 130-150inch bucks that I'd seen throughout the season so I know they will be BRUISERS this fall. The optimal growing conditions we've had thus far this spring/summer will only make it that much better!!! :wink

This fall will be the first that I've actually put cornplots on my farm since buying it in 2010. This afternoon I prepped a couple of plots for corn that my neighbor will plant in the morning. (He's a farmer and seed/fertilizer company manager and just finished planting his cornplots on his farm nextdoor.) MAN I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS FALL!!! :beer: My bush hog is 7ft and I plan on cutting one lane a week thru the standing corn beginning during our juvie gun season (last wknd in Oct, followed by 2wks of mzldr then gun opens wknd before T-giving and closes in mid Jan)

LET IT GROW, LET IT GROW, LET IT GROW!!! :at the bar

Last edited:

RedAllison

My neighbor stopped by and planted the plots yesterday aftrn. Now I hope my luck didn't just break the cool/wet weather trend and now we'll see a drought! :confused: Just need a quick .5" or so popup shower and the "golden acorns" should start sproutin quickly soon after! :beer:

Neal I've wanted to make a dovefield but then I'd be left with a large open field by the road for the rest of the fall/winter and I'd rather have deer coming out there (and the Bubbas driving up and down the road NOT be able to see them!). The duckhole field would be a great dovefield but I don't see it ever drying out fast enough in early summer to get any decent crops in there. Maybe if we have the rare/exceptional drought during spring one year it might happen. LOL you should see the doves out here now, remember these plots had wheat and oats in them from the winter. I bush hogged all of that down lastweek in prep for the corn planting. MAN birds were so thick in here it was like a gamewardens worst nightmare!

Last edited:

RedAllison

This mild, wet summer has been like NITRO for the corn. I took this pic Friday aftrn while bushogn, the corns 3-4ft & rockin! :wink

Juvie gun season opens last wknd of Oct! :beer:
RA

Attachments

SmallJaw

This mild, wet summer has been like NITRO for the corn. I took this pic Friday aftrn while bushogn, the corns 3-4ft & rockin! :wink

Juvie gun season opens last wknd of Oct! :beer:
RA
Exciting times on the RedAllison family farm to be sure. I used to own a pretty good size farm and leased a good one in TN too. I had all the farming equipment like a 90 horse JD 4X4 cab/air, batwing bushhogs, no-till planters, etc. I planted exclusively for wildlife and boy did I have the deer and turkey. I sold all of it when I got sick. Not a day goes by that I don't think of my farms and all the great times I had messing around on them. You are fortunate to be able to have a farm and enjoy it Red. My best combination for dragging the deer from miles around was to plant my corn in roughly 10 acre rectangular tracts, and I'd put a 30'-40' wide strip of clay peas around the corn. Sometimes I'd plant soybeans but most times it was clay peas. We killed some pretty big deer the year I started planting like that. We had 3 that went 140'-150' one year. That's great deer anywhere especially in TN. My AL bucks were all smaller except for one 166" 8 pointer that was poached off me. Long story but I did find out who shot it. Could not do anything about him poaching it since I did not catch him red handed. Maybe you will kill a monster or two off yours. I hope so but planting and farming is about as much fun as hunting to me.:smile

RedAllison

It's work for sure Smalljaw but yes VERY rewarding. Make no mistake, my place has UNTAPPED potential. I'm 4500ft from the 12k acre Hatchie National Wildlife Refuge (they have two 2-day 150hunter draw gun hunts on it annually, otherwise it's bowhunt only) and the 1000 acre tract between me and the refuge belongs to a good friends uncle. In 1999 that friend killed a 183inch 10pt on that tract. Then in 2007 on my farm (I bought it fall 2010) my neighbor and the gamewarden had been watching a GIANT during the early fall. The afternoon before gun season opened my neighbor saw that buck again on my place and he was chasin a hot doe.

The next morning (gun opener) the game warden was back out there watchin my place from the road and yep THERE came Bullwinkle chasin that mistress. They bounded across the road (onto another owners property which is mainly open farm ground with a few thin strips of trees along the ditches) and down a tree line. About 400yds down that treeline sat a hunter. The buck ran by 50yds from the hunter! He shot Bullwinkle and with that the gamewarden headed over there to see it and help the hunter load it up... it had 20 scorable points and grossed 203inches!!! :shock:

The Hatchie River is a special place! It's the largest remaining, free flowing, "natural tributary" in the lower MS River valley. It's protected by Federal and State laws so there will never be any dredging, straightening or otherwise RUINING of the river proper. It's hardwood bottoms or the surrounding area by farmers, developers or even the Feds like the Corp of Engineers are kept VERY tightly under control. Other than the occasional, once a lifetime logging here and there, the place looks, flows and "grows critters" just like it did when Columbus sailed the oceans over here! THANK YOU TO THE LORD ABOVE is all I can say! I waited, looked, walked, rode, searched and looked some more for "the right place" for five years but it never came until this jewel. He simply meant for me to have this place and I truly believe that! I researched this and was shocked to find that for the Hatchie River's 100+ mile wanderings through west TN, tracts over 500acres that actually have river frontage are VERY VERY VERY rarely sold! They stay in families for generations and generations primarily because of the rich farming soil and the astounding game populations and environment. (They likewise are bought out and combined with larger neighbors via owners with the resources to amass large tracts and so such transactions are never offered or made available to the public for sale in the first place!) We were made aware of several buyers that were putting together deals/offerings on my place while we were buying it. I had NO idea of the rarity of these places at that time or I wouldn't have slept for weeks. (Woulda paid more for it had I known that as well but I never bothered telling the previous owner that! :laughing )

My real estate guy and I actually researched the state archives and found out that from where the Hatchie flows across the MS state line into TN just south of Bolivar, TN to where it dumps into the MS River north of Memphis (appx 100mile footprint) that since the Civil War my purchase was only the 23rd-24th transfer of deed of a 500+acre tract with river frontage along the Hatchie!!! (Yes I've already placed it into trusts with plans for the great great great great grandkids to hopefully ply these same fields and woods as me and my boys do today) It's honestly an HONOR to have a place that looks and acts like it did since before we ever became a nation. (I have one GOLIATH Swamp Chestnut Oak standing on my place that is nearly 120ft tall, 14+ft in circumference and estimated to be over 200yrs old! That's nearly a worlds record for that species.)

LOL ask the old timers around this site, I used to DISAPPEAR from this site Sept-Feb and that's why Kev originally put this hunting section on the site so us "nimrods" would still check-in during the cold months! :razz

Is it November yet??? :at the bar
RA

pic of my buddy Mark's 10ptr in 1999:
http://www.tndeer.com/tn-trophy-room/trophy-search-detail.php?recordno=173

"Haywood County" is the county my farm is in, for the last 2 decades it's pumped out some amazing non-typicals. (I know Justin Samples as well and held that rack a few days after he killed it. Truly a gnarled up "nasty" buck that defies description. Has alot of "cactus buck" in it as well. Jackie Bushman thought it was going to score over 300 and would make it a worlds record by hunter as the #1 & #2 heads were found dead. Bushman would've paid him ALOT of $$$ but the buck just has no real, descernable frame so the record books just don't have a way to score it properly.) The 203incher killed on my place is down the page, the "Mike Wilbur" buck from 2007.
http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/2010/09/22/trophybucks_naw_haywood_0209/

Last edited:

jimbob88

just trying to figure out the rest of my vacation for hunting. when should I plan on being there there this fall. you can text/call if there are multiple dates you want me there.

RedAllison

just trying to figure out the rest of my vacation for hunting. when should I plan on being there there this fall. you can text/call if there are multiple dates you want me there.
:shock: Jimbob come on down, I'll let you stay with my neighbor. He's a MS farmboy and played football at Southern Miss. He'll LUV u!!! :LMAO:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
We have a little bit of corn in IA too. Was at a farm in IL last year and the guy had a 48 row planter and two 36's.--Yikes!

RedAllison

We have a little bit of corn in IA too. Was at a farm in IL last year and the guy had a 48 row planter and two 36's.--Yikes!
lol seth, and just a few "little big" deer as well! :gasp For sure the cornbelt states are pumping out the true GIANTS but what we lack in overall giant production we make up for in length of season and our winters aren't nearly as tough. I hunted MO for 20yrs (southern Ozarks not the giant producing river bottoms of northern MO) and have hunted KS but yet to hunt the cornbelts best areas like IA, IL, IN, OH etc... It's just hard to put down my pet longsteppin magnum rifles and take up going after monster bucks with birdguns! :cuss

SmallJaw

lol seth, and just a few "little big" deer as well! :gasp For sure the cornbelt states are pumping out the true GIANTS but what we lack in overall giant production we make up for in length of season and our winters aren't nearly as tough. I hunted MO for 20yrs (southern Ozarks not the giant producing river bottoms of northern MO) and have hunted KS but yet to hunt the cornbelts best areas like IA, IL, IN, OH etc... It's just hard to put down my pet longsteppin magnum rifles and take up going after monster bucks with birdguns! :cuss
Red I can tell you that from what I see of the deer potential of your area, you are not missing much bro. I've hunted Saskatchewan 12 times and Illinois 15-20 times, most every trip with my bow, and while I have killed some decent bucks, it was, and is never easy. Those TN deer I used to hunt on my leased farm may have lacked some in body size but they had the head gear. BTW, your trees sound like many I had on my farm here in Alabama. I had cherry trees and white oaks that were certified old growth. During timber cruises I had done by 2 different companies (trees which I just could not bear to cut!) told me that I had more veneer grade timber than any place they had walked over in a very long time. The guy I sold the farm too told me he was going to "never ever sell the timber even though the timber was worth the price of the whole 275 acre farm and farmhouse." He knew that was my hearts desire and was just a lie. He sold a big part of the timber within a year of buying it. I was sick to my stomach to see the clearcuts on one of the last remaining wilderness type patches of ground left in this part of the country. I'm glad you are saving your land for your heirs. You are to be highly commended.:wink

GotMyAlly

LOL. Real smart animals they ain't. Gimme an ol' truck with a good steel bumper, a full moon night, and an hour on HWY 72 between c-town and memphis........and I'll fill the bed of the truck up and pile 'em as high as the cab.

jimbob88

I'll just say this.
after dark, one shot, deer in truck within 4 minutes. you'll never be caught.
thats what I've been told.

SmallJaw

I remember one time when I "mistakenly" thought a truck with a spotlight driving along my field was a deer's eyes. Dang if I didn't shoot over that deer's head. My scope must have been off. If I recall right I shot over that deers head 5 times! I probably could have hit it if I had wanted to. Never saw that same set of headlights again. Never shot my '06 at night again either. Dangerous place out there at night. Old men with bad eyesight and all.....:LMAO: