Dave Hensley Here You Go Brother....NEW BOAT!

SmallJaw

Dave, I know how bad you don't like FB, and I don't blame you. You requested "us" Allison folk come visit here more often and discuss boats and setups etc more here. I could not agree more that his is really where the serious, hard-core stuff should happen. For that reason I am making sure I recommit to visiting here daily like I used to. For those who don't know, I sold the blue and white Bassport I bought this year, to Joe Eally. Could not have gone to a better man. It is one very fine and very fast boat let me tell you! I should be picking my new 2018 BassPort up from Fish'n World in Dallas late this coming week or early next week. If you want to see it you can go to their web and it is the black and red one with the power poles. I have already purchased 2 new 40 AH Lithium Pro's for it, an Ulterra 112 TM, and Nite Track night vision. I'll be dropping my own designed motor protector on it, my own console mounted electronics mount for the Nite Track, and that expensive SM lower will have my own designed heating unit that I built for my first Allison several years ago. She is sharp and I can't wait to see how it runs. I am concerned that the power power poles may cause high speed "fun" I have not experienced yet, but I'll deal with that one way or the other.

Dave Hensley

Cool Johnny. Joe had reached out to me and told me I bought my XB 21 out from under him...:) Not really but he had called about it and I was second caller and said I had $$$ and was on the way. Greta boats. You may fish where you need power poles. I am not a fan. I would substitute an iPilot trolling motor. Anyway, sounds like you are going all out. Would like to learn more about Nite track and heater for Sporty. I love my boat and am getting rid of everything in the barn except an XR2002 and a spare 3 liter that might have a few things done to it. This forum is head and shoulders above FB and is an absolute museum for Allison owners.

Last edited:

Tim Powell

Johnny and I fish very similar, I expect we will see his power poles deployed on the garage more so than the boat. Especially with the Ulterra.

I put an Ultrex on my boat a few months ago and absolutely love it.

SmallJaw

Sorry about the late get back guys. I thought it was going to be reasonably quick getting the new boat home. Turned out to be a long process with more ups and downs than I can even start to tell about. But, it is here as of this past Sunday. It looks tremendous. The new 300 on the back with them black/silver decals is the bomb! Me and Johnny Johnson went to Dallas and brought it home over the weekend. Has not been broke in yet so give me some time to comment on setup and speeds. Not going to be a triple digit boat with the poles but it should haul the mail fine. Thanks for all the great comments and hopefully I'll get some action/running pictures up soon. I've taken all the trailer queen type pictures that I can stand for now.

SmallJaw

Why a heating unit for a sporty?
I
I designed, built, and started using a lower unit heater a few years ago when it occurred to me that if my seal went out on the sporty that I was looking at a very expensive replacement of the housing at least. I fish all winter and when you go out you run the risk of the lower unit shaft seal going bad any given trip. You may not know when it goes bad and could have a lot of water to freeze and bust up the lower. I researched it and it is very commonplace. So, just in case, I took some materials from my workplace and ordered some more materials and built a heating system that is easy to put on my lower, keeps it 35 degrees warmer than the ambient air temp, and mostly gives me peace of mind. that was the why that you asked about.

SLOmofo

I
I designed, built, and started using a lower unit heater a few years ago when it occurred to me that if my seal went out on the sporty that I was looking at a very expensive replacement of the housing at least. I fish all winter and when you go out you run the risk of the lower unit shaft seal going bad any given trip. You may not know when it goes bad and could have a lot of water to freeze and bust up the lower. I researched it and it is very commonplace. So, just in case, I took some materials from my workplace and ordered some more materials and built a heating system that is easy to put on my lower, keeps it 35 degrees warmer than the ambient air temp, and mostly gives me peace of mind. that was the why that you asked about.
This post is worthless without pictures!

SmallJaw

Thanks for making the long drive to Dallas for my boat Johnny Johnson and for posting that picture. Both the trip and the boat were and are just a load of fun.

SmallJaw

Cool Johnny. Joe had reached out to me and told me I bought my XB 21 out from under him...:) Not really but he had called about it and I was second caller and said I had $$$ and was on the way. Greta boats. You may fish where you need power poles. I am not a fan. I would substitute an iPilot trolling motor. Anyway, sounds like you are going all out. Would like to learn more about Nite track and heater for Sporty. I love my boat and am getting rid of everything in the barn except an XR2002 and a spare 3 liter that might have a few things done to it. This forum is head and shoulders above FB and is an absolute museum for Allison owners.
Dave, I have never had power poles either. I will likely put a quick disconnect system of some kind on them in the future. I do fish some shallow areas around Guntersville and Wheeler where they may come in handy. I also think that at the beach in front of my lake house they may prove to be a good idea when I have other guys over with their boats. They can have the boat dock if I have a safe way to put my on the beach without worrying about barge waves over the back. I have the Ulterra on my boat so even though I am clueless for the most part about how to take advantage of it for now, I will learn its features and use it most of the time like your Ipilot. This place does have some great gear-heads for our boats. I have learned a lot on here over the years.

ROBERT CROSS

Fine look'n boat for sure...:)

We bought GS#2 from Key also...treated this Yankee just fine. Boat went from Tenn. to Dallas back to Tenn. then up to WNY on Lake Erie & the Niagara River more miles on the road than on the water, that WILL change the second Season.

SmallJaw

Fine look'n boat for sure...:)

We bought GS#2 from Key also...treated this Yankee just fine. Boat went from Tenn. to Dallas back to Tenn. then up to WNY on Lake Erie & the Niagara River more miles on the road than on the water, that WILL change the second Season.
Robert I want to take a ride in a GS some day. I'd love to own one. May have to get the wife to give up her pontoon for one.

David Shook

Dave Have no Idea why you would have a heater on a lower , I do hunt in cold weather and it seems the slower I walk the colder I get is their something relative ?