Engine/ pad height

1badss

Banned
Tell me why one would have to level the boat when using a laser off the lower unit to get the distance in relation to pad height. The lip is not going to change one way or the other. Level the lower unit use a laser and it should all be good, right?

1badss

Banned
Put your caster jack all the way up, level the engine. Mark it. Lower the jack all the way, level the engine. Mark it. I think you'll see the differance, and why. JIMHO
I'll check it out. I already did it the old way but then I got to thinking............................always gets me in trouble!

ziemer

Trim angle will affect where the laser hits on the back of the pad (or below the pad) No need to raise & lower trailer jack...just bump the trim one way or the other and see how much difference it makes in realtion to the pad. :beer:

Think of it this way (rather than thinking pad & propshaft both being level)

The bottom of the boat (pad) and the propshaft need to be on parallel planes in order to measure proper height...boat can be at 38 degrees, but that means the propshaft also has to be at 38 degrees. Since that ain't the easiest measurement to find, we normally use the level to be at 0 degrees. :very happy

whipper

Trim angle will affect where the laser hits on the back of the pad (or below the pad) No need to raise & lower trailer jack...just bump the trim one way or the other and see how much difference it makes in realtion to the pad. :beer:

Think of it this way (rather than thinking pad & propshaft both being level)

The bottom of the boat (pad) and the propshaft need to be on parallel planes in order to measure proper height...boat can be at 38 degrees, but that means the propshaft also has to be at 38 degrees. Since that ain't the easiest measurement to find, we normally use the level to be at 0 degrees. :very happy
You should have been a teacher.:big grin Good explanation.