First Blood 2013, my crossbow buck!

RedAllison

While watching the weather forecast Saturday night I couldn't help but think, "MAN it sure looks like Monday afternoon is going to be one of those 'REALLY NEED TO BE OUT THERE' kinda days!" :shock: This is my first buck with a crossbow & the first bow hunt I've been able to go on since fall 2005.

Well it wasn't a let down, at 6:15 this 220# 8pt walked by my crossbow at 12yds. :big grin

Attachments

Last edited:

RedAllison

Red where did u hit him. In the neck
Vance that hole is the entrance hole! :cuss

He was strongly quartering towards me, headed for a broadside shot but at 12yds and I only being up in a 9ft tripod I knew if he got much closer he would likely see, smell or sense me and I learned years ago that you ALWAYS take the FIRST KILLING SHOT you are presented with when dealing with big deer! I knew the crossbow would penetrate thru the chest and it would be a humane shot. The bolt went completely thru the lungs, clipped the far side of his liver and broke the ribs on the otherside of the body. It didn't poke thru the skin, the broadhead was bent up pretty badly at that point and didn't cut the hide but could see it sticking out "underneath" the skin. A frontal chest hit like that produces ALOT of bleeding for trailing, and there was PLENTY to follow, reminded me of the bloodtrails my 45-70 leaves! But there was no trailing involved as I saw him fall after a run of only 40yds. :beer:

I went back and found a pic of his otherside and the circle I put around the "lump" that was the broadhead under the hide. I prefer to put "2 holes in them" when possible but that bolt went thru ALOT of tough, fat, swamp donkey and did it's lethal job in 2-3 seconds! :wink

Attachments

Last edited:

njj502

Nice deer for sure. We regularly see 200+ lb deer here in IL but 220 & up is getting in bigin territory.

Vance

Red I killed a 140 type 10 point in Illinois three years ago and shot him thru the neck. My buddy had hung the stand on some beans and when I got in the stand he hadn't cut any shooting lanes into the beans. I'm like a deer is gonna have to walk right under the tree for me to have a shot. I was there already and it was too late to move. An hour later he was standing under the tree. He was about to spook so I took what he gave me. When I drew on him all I could see was my 40 yard pin and I hit him forward in the neck. 60 yards and he was done. Some times you have to have a little luck on your side. That is a nice buck you should be happy.

RedAllison

That is a nice buck you should be happy.
Thanx Vance, I measured him at 120", short G-1s hurt him but still a great buck. I've killed bigger bucks with my recurve, compound, muzzleloader and rifles over the years but this was my first buck with a crossbow so he got "ventilated". :very happy

SmallJaw

Really nice buck. At 12 yards that is a rush. I've shot my bow every day for the past week and by the time I drag my camper to Illinois next weekend I'll be ready to shoot something too. Go get another one now!:laughing