Fishing props

What do you use as a fishing prop?

• Total voters

fishnfireman

If you ever get a chance try the RE4 mazco.
It's a 4 blade over the hub style round ear prop.
With the 4 blades it will carry a load real well.
The over hub design will let the mtr spool up like a chopper or et then bite and launch hard.
I like them over a Trophy or Hydromotive only because of the way they let the mtr get into it's powerband. especialy when it's hot and you have a load. it will allow you to run a taller pitch and still get out of the hole.

GotMyAlly

I'm running a 28" Hydromotive Quad IV O/T. I ran a 27" Trophy before but it was slower out of the hole and didn't have any mid-range pull. I'd say top end is about the same, but the Hydromotive handles better. I haven't ran any over hub props yet....gotta stash back some spare change before I buy any more wheels.

RedAllison

I have run a Trophy since just about day one. I will continue to use it when the water is trashy, but I just got sick of the doggy holeshot and calendar quick midrange. Right now I have the Ron Hill "ET" (I think he meant the alien type) that Todd Bucknall cut for me and it is MUCH quicker than the Trophy. I AM still going to go with a QuadIV but now am gonna wait until next spring in case a 21 finds it way into my garage! I voted in the poll and used "chopper" for my Hill/Hydromotive.

:wink:
RA

RB in NM

I run a 24" chopper built fer my rig with a load. The 24" works good for 5000 feet elevation out here. It hauls 2 men and a loaded to the hilt XB-03 purdy dang good. But light, it ain't worth a poop....little too much cup, and tends to crab badly around 8k rpms.....I gave my trophy away.

RB

xb2003

I have ran both the old style chopper with the weed cutters removed with a little cup and a 28 quad. I prefer my chopper over the quad. Hole shot was slower with the quad and topend was almost exactly the same on my boat.

chad202

Don't know yet. Fixin to try a small version of the Alabama cut. Supposed to be the cat's meow on a XB2003.

brotherxb03

I run a 27 tempest plus with one gromet in the summer,killer hole shot enough to get my brother rocket on a plane when his mota locked up.

jhwarwic

Probationary User
I run an E.T. on an xb 2oo2 bass racer with a 280 no revlimitor I carry a full bass load and have run the boat in rough water with no problem.I have been running the prop for three years with no cracks.In the cool of the day it will G.P.S.101 and drop off to about 97 in the florida sun on a bigger boat like a 2003 I dont know a couple of friends tried them on bullets and made short work of them.

chad202

So far, my best has been a 28 RL cut chopper into a ET. It does everything very well and it's the fastest topend prop as well. Hard to find a prop that does all this. I'm still however looking for another prop that will cruise good. Something easy to drive in the 70-80mph range. My next prop to try will be a 28 DragIV.

GotMyAlly

I ran the 28" Hydromotive Quad IV O/T as my fishing prop this summer, but I think I have a new prop that will work better with a HEAVY fishing load. The hydromotive is still faster, but my new 28" Performer comes out of the hole like a rocket and has tons of bow lift and it drives VERY easy. It just gets on the limiter too quick to be a great top end prop - it is 3-4 mph slower than my hydromotive, but for those days when I'm loaded down in 100 degree temps with high humidity it should be great.

chad202

I ran a 28performer and it ran like you say. It had good holeshot and was very smooth and drove itself. it was about 2mph slower than my best prop at the time and about 5-6mph slower than this RL cut. I'm sure it can be made better with some tweaking.

GotMyAlly

THis one I have has been balanced/blueprinted and sharpened. It launches and accelerates faster than anything that I've ran up till now. It feels like it runs more like a 27" prop though. I think I'll leave this one alone and use it for a heavy load prop. It would be great for those days when I have a 'kini in every seat and the livewell full of beer. I'll buy something else for a top end prop. I think the performer probably has too much blade area to be a really fast prop, but I am sure it could be cut down and made to run fast.

Allyfishing

May we add a TXP OT4 to the pole? Great hole shot prop, carries a heavy load, handles rough water well and is cheap if I hit something.

My QIV-OT is my lighter load prop but on my XB21 slips too much on hole shot with 525LBs of anglers and all tackle.