Forum Upgrade XenForo 1.5.5a

admin

Administrator
Hi everyone -

It will probably not be apparent to most (as the changes are discrete), but I have just completed a major release upgrade to the forum. Typically I perform minor release updates which simply fix background issues, security holes, etc.

This major update added a couple of cool new features for you to take advantage of, and I will be adding in some neat new things soon as well, so stay tuned. Here are two I would like to point out:
You can take advantage of both. Read through what they are, if you are interested, and feel free to use them and let me know what you think. The two factor authentication is important, from a security perspective, for anyone who has advanced privileges on the board - such as a moderator, super moderator, or administrator. Going forward these roles will require two factor authentication for logging into the forum (note this affects about 5 people). In adding such a security feature, we are limiting the exposure to outside threats through administrative accounts. If an administrative account were to be compromised, all of the forum data, email, phone numbers, personal information - all of it - could be stolen. I take the security of this board very seriously, along with your personal data, and want to make sure you know I do everything to protect it.

That being said, ANYONE can use two factor authentication, and I encourage it. It is easy to set up, and is similar to logging into online banking, for example. This will help ensure your account is not hacked via a simple password hack, and you will not be blamed for spamming us all with "free trip to" wherever posts.

Thanks - and let me know if anything is quirky, and positive comments are welcome also!

Jon

admin

Administrator
I went ahead and set up a sample of one of the new features. If you notice in the "For Sale" section, there is now a "Craigslist Ads" forum. This is an RSS feed reader, currently just importing new posts in the "For Sale/Boat" section of Craigslist if the word "Allison" appears. I have set this up for Knoxville & Nashville as an example, and it checks every 30 minutes.

http://forum.allisonowners.com/index.php?forums/craigslist-ads.58/

I would like to streamline this some, and not add a new feed per city, and tools like searchtempest do not allow me to add a global RSS feed. If you have any suggestions, I'm open to them. Also, these posts could currently flood the "New Posts" feature - which isn't desirable.

If you are aware of any other places to look for boat ads WHICH ALSO supports RSS, let me know. Facebook did support RSS until a year ago - which wouldhave been great for the non-Facebook users on this page - I could have pulled in all ads from Facebook to this forum for a one stop shop!

One last thing to mention, you can always pull RSS feeds from any of our forums for immediate notifications! Use your favorite RSS feed reader on your PC/MAC or your phone, and click the RSS button next to the forum which you would like to receive notifications:

Allison_Owners_Forum.png

admin

Administrator
Check out the new Media feature. Upload videos of your Allison's!

I also have created a couple of test photo albums to see how we like it. If you have some photo's from the Allison Rally this past year, please upload!

Forum_Upgrade_XenForo_1_5_5a___Allison_Owners_Forum.png

22R

Thanks Jon ! Appreciate all you do for the Allison site and it's owners.

22R

Reactions: Jon

22R

Love the new Media feature as well. Great to see the video of Mike Medica in his old 2002 on the Diversion canal.
That wasn't shot yesterday cause Kevin's Seafood restaurant was not even built yet...time flies

Thanks again,
22R