Fuel tank vent XB03??

Stace

I'm having trouble with water in the gas and feel it's sneeking in the vent. Is there suppose to be a screen underneath the vent cap? Has anyone else had this problem? I try real hard not to let the back of the boat dunk but sometimes it's unavoidable. Thanks again for your help guys. Stace

CHRIS IND

Water in the tank

You're not the only one to have problems with water coming in the fuel tank. Some of the older models had a plastic filler cap assembly that was notorious for leaking after the foam gasket compressed over time. The newer metal cap assemblies are a lot better.

I never trusted the vent on my GS. It's supposed to have a one-way check valve in it to prevent water inversion, but I can't say it does with any confidence. Some guys just move the vent , but keep it above the tank elevation.

Chris

BALD ALLISON

WATER IN THE FUEL

YES I HAVE, BURNT A MOTA BECAUSE OF IT. CALL BILL @ ALLISON AND BUY THE NEW VENTED FILLER CAP ASSY. NO MORE WATER IN THE FUEL. THANK GOD.
BA :lol:

alli ss

Re: WATER IN THE FUEL

BALD ALLISON said:
YES I HAVE, BURNT A MOTA BECAUSE OF IT. CALL BILL @ ALLISON AND BUY THE NEW VENTED FILLER CAP ASSY. NO MORE WATER IN THE FUEL. THANK GOD.
BA :lol:
this is not the only one :lol:
call and get the new cap. the vent is inside the fill tube. :wink:

JMC

Gas caps

My '92 XS came with the junk plastic cap as well. It did its job for four years then the gasket disolved and my tank was taking a drink every time I stopped. I replaced 2 pistons before I figured it out. The vent however has not given me any problems, although I probably should move it.

Stace

Thanks everyone!!! With the new gas cap do you just plug the old vent hose or does it get re plumbed into the filler hose? The west marine vent looks good, has anyone tried it yet? Thanx again guys!! Stace

Stace

What do ya think??

OK got all the water out of the tank, wiped the inside out and shop vac'd it. I'm headed to a west marine store tomarrow. Do I get the Perko Gas fill and tank vent combo or the Attwood anti siphon tank vent that Kevin showed in the link above? Thanks in advance. Stace

K

Kevin from FL

Stace, at the time I bought my boat in 1997, there was no combination cap and vent. I improvised and it solved my problem.

Either way, you are going to have a hard time doing either one. If there was a combo cap available at the time, I would have done that.

The choice is yours.

Sking

while this discussion is going on thought I would throw this out there. I installed a ball valve in my vent line hose. Hose on mine is 5/8" I.D. When I get home from the lake I shut the ball valve and close the fuel system. Kind of like a gas can with a vent. Can't build up anymore pressure than that. Since the boat is on the trailer far more than its in the water thought this might help keep the gas fresher, especially in the winter months when it sits for several months. Also, if you leave the boat in the water, say overnight, and someone try's to steal it, if the valve is shut they won't get very far..

I bought the new style vent/filler at the factory during the ralley. Everything went great until I decided the fuel hose was going to be about 1 inch short.
The filler hose acts like it's glued to the tank nozzle. Is there a good way of getting it off?
I finally put it back together with the old stuff until I have more time and patience
Any help would be appreciated.
Pat Williams
Cedar Rapids,Ia

Stace

Well the Attwood tank vent won't work on a xb03 and they didn't have the fill/vent in stock so it looks like Bill will be getting a call Mon. Is the unit Allison sells a Perko? Pat all I can say is be patient and keep workin at. If you can get the filler cap assembly off first you can work a long phillips screw driver between the neck and hose. I'm gonna start on mine tomarrow I let you know if find a trick. Stace

Stace

Perko fill/vent

Pat, got the perko fill/vent installed today and it took about 1 1/2 hrs. This is what worked best for me. Loosen the clamp from the old filler neck(it's easier to get at from the portside hole that your cables come out and goto your engine). Remove the 3 screws twist and pull out. Loosen clamp on the tank filler neck and take a long handled screwdriver to work between the hose and neck. Once you can get screwdriver in a ways squirt some WD-40 in and work it in with the screwdriver. Do this about 4 or 5 places. Reach under and try to twist the hose and pull off, mine came right off. You'll need a longer piece of 5/8" gas line for vent hose. I used a 1/2" drill bit and a dremel for the vent notch then taped the template down and dremeled the rest of the hole. Stuff a clean rag in the tank filler neck before drilling and grinding. Hope this helps ya! Stace