Gearcase divits

whipper

Just wondering what some of you do when ya get a chunk out of a gearcase with a coned unit. My bobs coned gearcase doesnt like sitting in the water for weeks on end thats for sure it seems evey time on Vacation I loose a chunk.:banghead i usually just fair it so theres no straight edges to creat more bubbles. I restrict my speeds to 90 or less and so far so good no blow out. I would take her out and spend the day repairing it if I wasnt on vacation and it wasnt 105deg every day.:beer: Its the size of a silver dollar I sanded and filed it so the edges blend. How bad have you had this happen and never even reilized there was any problem? Or how bad is bad? ive had this happen a million times and really even when its bad i didnt feel any blowout bubbles slipping back to the prop.

whipper

I would think if it was first made with something impervious to water that it wouldn't do that. Bondo isn't and is a problem.
yes i thought this dana gass was. i think ill maybe bite the bullet and try doing it with marine tech next time like i use on the pad?
i fared this divit thats infront of the oil drain pug. The water Im sure defects past there for now anyway at speed before it mates back to the gear case. i ran her up today just fine so hopfuly it makes it another week in the drink before i pull her out to go home.

Darth VMAX

Thats exactly why I prefer a stock case... or at leastone that can be modded with LWP without the use of fillers (like my Yammie case). My Bob's on my Merc kept doing that after a week in the water on vacation.

Darth VMAX

I would buy a sportmaster :punch
If I had a Merc, I agree 100%. Like I mentioned on another thread. I would gladly give up the last mph's if it means not having to deal with filler issues ever again.

MWest77

My old Titus cone looses a piece every time i take it out. Ive been filling with Bondo marine fine hair glass. Before long, Ill have a completely redone lower!

whipper

My old Titus cone looses a piece every time i take it out. Ive been filling with Bondo marine fine hair glass. Before long, Ill have a completely redone lower!
:big grin:big grin i thought the same thing. Mines been good since I re did it compete two years ago. The patches never seem to last as long as a total redo.