GSE set-up

Jus' Giv'r

Hi,
Whipper has given me some great tips.
I am new to my GSE and was trying to figure out speeds with different prop set-ups, realizing I still have some seat-time ahead of me. But hey, I can do nothing but dream for 2 more months.
So, I have a GSE, stock 1997 225PM, 10" offset, sportmaster and Bob's cav plate. I want to eventually do 85 with 3 adults and still have some decent accel. What is everyones opinion?
BTW - I have a 26 trophy.

Lightning

I use a 26 Trophy as well. You will be able to get 85 with your setup. On my boat the Trophy gets the boat on plane fast but when it breaks over it blows out and I have to feather the throtle for a second before she hooks up. After that it pulls hard the rest of the way. I haven't tried any other props that would be worth wasting your time on, but a friend of mine loves his 28 Mazco RE3 on the same set-up you have.

whipper

Go with a 28p chopper 2 ally cut,I have a 30 and it works ok but you may be happier with a 28.
I was going to say the same thing after I wrote 30 on the other thread.
I used a 30 chopper2 for a couple of years. I thought it was good. Then last fall I read about the knob cut of Todds he can do on chopper2,s. he suggested I go down a pitch when I had the cut done. His GS does over 100 with 4 adults with this cut so I tried it. He made mine a 28.5 out of my 30 and cant say enough about it as far as 3 blade props go.
My favorite prop to run was a 25 trophy for allround family use skiing tubing ect... Heck of a hole shot! I was always on the limiter though and was only going 80 wot. I wanted a bit more so was going to a 27. Had a 28 Drag4 for a few years i liked also but was hard to beat the 25,s hole shot! I settled for a nice 26 Quad4/OT thought this would be an interesting pitch for an all rounder. Just a little taller than the 25 trophy but able to run higher prop shaft heights over the trophy also helping to pic up more speed. I have a brucato ACU that bumps my limiter up to just over 7k now and the extra rpm and going up just a pitch was the answer for me. I love the 26 Quads smoothness, even smoother feeling than the trophy. Because of your stock 6750 limiter i would think a 27 would be the best of both worlds in a 4 blade. Your 26 or even a 25 would be a better {ski prop} though. The way the 225PM is geared they don't have the torque from a dead stop to pull the weight of a skier with out ventilating then grabbing with out having a smaller pitch on there. That action makes it hard unless they are good Strong skiers. Once the prop bites it will be hard to hang on to the rope! But you have to yank them that way to avoid excessive dragging of the skier. Some guys even use a 24 for skiing but that would be a little short for cruising around after skiing. For now your 26 trophy will be an awesome prop for all round use. I like 4 blade props better than 3 blade props for 80%+ of my boating. When your by your self or just have two up the 3 blade props work fine but its hard to beat the feel out of the hole and smoothness the 4 blades offer. The 4 blades are way better in rough water also. For a top end prop anything high end in 3 blades 28-30 max. I like acceleration over absolute top end props but like you want to see 85 when not skiing or tubbing with the same prop. Your 26 might be that prop already. They like 1/4-1/2 inch below for highest heights. The trophy is not a true semi surfacing prop and will not last as long at even to the pad. Mines actually faster 1/2 inch below than even. My 26 quad can be run all up or 1/2 down but fastest all up. hears a shot of the 26 quad4 beside my 28.5 knob cut chopper2. The Quad has more rake than the trophy but very similar in the hub. The rake is what allows for higher shaft heights were as the trophy's have more rounded ears.

Last edited:

whipper

{So skiing aside.} The best ,I think cruising 4 blade will be a 27 or 28 quade4/OT or 27 Drag4 with 4 up driving around sight seeing and blasting around the lake for econamy and fun factor long hauls encountering rough patches ect... The best 3 blade for same purpose doent exist!
Best top end will be a worked 30 3 blade. For carring 4 up dont go above 28 in a three blade. Thats just my own preferance with a 225PM on a GSE. Like John Richie always says,you cant try to many props.
Your lake is large and can get choppy. For early morrning calm rips the 28 or 30 3 blades will be great! Once the traffic comes the 4 blades will be better or when its windy.