Guidance for newbie

Lchunt

Bought an old 89 XTB that had what I guess is the original 200 EFI on it. Got it running and it runs pretty good but had a 225 pro max that I put on it yesterday.
My question relates to the LU on both these motors.
The 225 has what appears to be a stock Sporty LU on it. The 200 has an extra plate that says Allison and I assume aids in getting it on plane quicker mounted on it. Should I take it off the 200 and put it on the 225? There are no mounting holes on the 225.
Also 2 questions on the 200 LU. 1) what is this hose above the skeg? 2) there is a chip on the foot paint that shows about 1/8” thick bondo looking material on top of the aluminum - is that normal?

Attachments

SLOmofo

A Sports Master has a lower water pick up already built in. The plate is exactly as you thought and yes I'd transfer it. The tube is to pass water from the added on nose cone to the lower unit and then into the water pump. Added on nose cone spackle popped out. Yes it's usual for it to crack and pop out. Use something other then Bondo, water will penetrate Bondo and swell. Also that spot could be from some one using a so called "transom saver". One that fits between the trailer and engine. I don't like that kind I believe it puts more strain on it. I use the type that goes between the center section and trim.

Lchunt

Thanks slomofo. Already helping the new guy.

Strange results today. I went from a 200EFI with a 26 trophy to the 225 pro max with a 27 pro max and lost 4mph. I was running 5500 at 74mph on the old motor. Now running 5200 at 70 but couldn’t get trimmed up without getting super sketchy on the ride. Also went from cable to hydraulic. Only ran about 10 miles. Guess I need to learn how to drive again......
Need some tutelage I guess.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where's your engine height at? Did you mount the promax in the same set of motor holes as the 200? I wouldn't put the plate on the sportmaster just yet. The xtb planes off really easily and you may find you probably don't need it. I have on on my 2003 sometimes, seems to help more with an over the hub prop, not as noticeable with a prop with a barrel, like a trophy. I've not had it on in a year or 2 now.

Lchunt

I’m -1 below the pad now. Have 12” hydraulic plate and I measured prop off when I had it in the shop. I’m in the next to top hole on plate and top hole on motor. Looks like it would only go up to 1/2” above peaked out.
The 27” pro max on the 225 slips a bit getting on plane. It has one vent plug out. The 26”trophy on the 200 with two plugs out didn’t slip at all but it had the plane assist plate on it.

With the engine change, hydraulic steering addition, prop change IDK - so much at one time I guess it just needs dialed in and I’m still not at all comfortable driving an Allison yet.

Lchunt

Update on the XTB21- put the Allison planer and the 26 trophy on the 225. Running 1/2” below the pad. It is instantly on plane now.
Been moving weight around. A lot of trial and error but settled on 100lbs in the front compartment, 2 batteries middle, one on port far rear and now it’s very stable to 72 or so. Got 76 gps out of it at 6000rpm but it was getting sketchy on the ride. Just a tad positive trim with no rooster tail above the motor.
This is a freshly built (Reynolds) 225 pro max sport with a sportmaster. Shouldn’t it blow past 6000 rpm and keep on going with a 26 pitch trophy??? Feels like I’m outta motor...

xb03fs

Lchunt- 70s is transitional area where you first start to having to drive an allison. It’s where balancing your load and motors height becomes important. Any load and setup should go to 70 with minimal effort.......

You are in for a treat. Get the balance, motor height and some time behind the wheel and 80+ becomes a dream... 65-75 is my least favorite speed to run an allison. Slower or faster... on the other hand setup matters above 80 so make sure you are coming correct... I am not sure of what your setups capable of but with a good lower, and setup I think 90+ should be achievable if not more....

Based on previous xb2003 running 85-90 with 200 efi based on load and same 200 pushing my 21 footer 80-85 based on load....

My 2 cents....

xb03fs

Ps also... not outta motor. Likely setup and driving is all that’s needed. When I first moved to an allison it took me a whole summer to figure out setup and driving and get into the 80s...

Lchunt

Thanks for the guidance xb......
I’m trying to be patient but I wanna go fast. The heart wants it but the boys say NO!
I guess the front weight laid a little more center line in the water and provided the stability. Now I’m just dragging more boat so rpm is being punished I reckon.

Latest snag is I threw a blade off the O.G. Trophy prop yesterday. Turns out it was a 27 pitch not a 26P as I thought. Putting the 27P Pro Max on it. Hated that prop when I tried it out of the box but have made mods to engine height and swapped to hydraulic steering. I think I need to jump on the prop thread and get guidance on the alternative to the Pro Max prop........

I’ll keep practicing and work on setup mods as suggested.

xb03fs

Make sure left to right balance is correct.

If you weight 200 you better have 200 lbs on the left side...

G Allen

I have an '89 XTB and have not owned mine a heck of a lot longer than you...lateral balance is huge for high speed behavior. +1 for what XB03fs said. Lead shot in sturdy bags is the traditional Allison back of portside rod locker ballast thang...Don't throw away that Pro Max prop just yet... Mine has fixed jackplate 14" setback 225 promax sport master 1.87 gear case and is set up center propshaft even with the pad. I'm not seeing nearly the speeds you are but that is because i run at 6200-7600 ft. above sea level and am down 25-30% horsepower from altitude and rich fuel mixture.

dubmoney

Be patient. I am on my fourth year of tuning and setup. It is the great thing about Allisons they go fast and every little thing you do has an effect on how they run. These guys have good advice and as you get to know her you will hear/feel what she wants. If you are confused post up what you are thinking and we will tell you what we have done when hearing/feeling what you are. Keep at it, I watched G. Allens boat run at Shasta and love the XTB, very cool boats, they cut through the rough stuff in a way I wasn't expecting to see.