Had to use 2 thrust washers

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Took GS to delta for the first time, what a great weekend.

Beached it and tried to swap out 21 High five for the 26 ET, to do some skiiing/wakeboard stuff.

The H5 would scrape the blowout ring area of the sportmaster case a little when it was spun. I guess this means wear at the taper of the propshaft (old school thin shaft) or the thrust washer.

I could not get the thrust washer loose, but I did have a spare thrust washer and slapped it onto the H5 and cinched her down to 60 ft-lbs. The nylock was still holding the nut with only about 1/8" threaded propshaft exposed.

Well I was half expecting to lose the prop and hub, if not break the shaft but she held fine and the weekend was a complete success.

I just wondered if anybody else had run 2 thrust washers, in a pinch like happened to me.

B

BP

I once stacked two thrust washers in order to move a Trophy prop further back from the gearcase.
The thinking was it might improve holeshot (it didn't).
No ill effects however.

J

John Richied

For speed runs it use to be “the hot tip” to space the prop back stacking thrust washers. It’s suppose to make some props more efficient. Merc also makes a thrust washer that is

Bob Ant

John,
There may be something to that because when my prop shaft broke I had my prop spaced back to the rear of the shaft.

BobA.

Jimxb02

I've used a double thrust washer before to get me through a weekend or a vacation , however, it does put additional load on the prop shaft.

My prop shaft broke also but it was in a gear case that had a lot of time on it.

Jim