Hmotive QIV-XOB scene 3!!!

RedAllison

Gotta call yesterday from a club member with some setup questions. Got to talkin with him and he and another member were gonna run their boats this mornin with some new props. I was like, "Hell I'm off tomorrow Mike, mind if I tag along?" So we put em in this mornin.

His boat is a 21' Legend with a 250XS (1.75 TM gearcase). He usually runs a 26 Croxton Tempest but he had essentially stolen a NIB 27" Trophy to try. I want to say he has a 10" rapidjack on it. So we slapped his Trophy on and out he went. It was to high, was blowing a rooster tail 10'+ up in the air and the keel line was in the water regardless of trim. He also mentioned having to really feather it to get it up on plane. (Had the large vents snapped in.)

So then I said, Mike try my XOB. We put it on and he went out. Just from the dock we could tell the boat really responded. Came up quick, accelerated considerably better and he got 76.6gps. (solo/loaded) He came back amazed how smooth the prop drove and how much it seemed to perform all the way across the board. Then we put his 26" Croxtonized Tempest on. 76.2 or .3 I believe it was. Then he came back and REALLY talked about how much better the Hmotive wheel drove. I also mentioned it probably would suffer less drop off with an extra person and gear aboard than the 3bld would.

So then we slapped my XOB back on RDWII and I went out and after a couple warm up passes I stoked her own up. A new best for the boat... 87.9gps me solo, 1/2tank fuel, empty livewell but everything else still in the boat. LOL I kept waiting for the rollover to 88.0 but I was running out of lake and probably should've bumped the plate another blip or two. The last time I ran last month my best was 86.7gps.

Then the Legend bud jumped in and we did 84.4gps, same as last month with two men. But I had lowered the jackplate a lil bit for the extra person and wind today. I shoulda left it, I'm sure 85+ woulda been on the screen!

And everyone was laughin and sayin my "barge with the lil motor" would do well to run inda low 80s! :cuss:laughing

Shoot a tweak here and there on the gearcase and 90 here we come!!! :beer:
RA

RedAllison

lol Bill for ME, aint THAT the $64K question! :laughing

I know the last time I had it out when it ran the 86.7 solo and 84.4 with two, I went home and measured it at 5/8" below pad. Yesterday I don't know, I know which hash mark on my gage it had it settled on. But not exacty sure where it was. I think it was a tick or two higher than 5/8" but not much higher. Yesterday there was a steady wind blowing one direction down the lake (would slow the boats down about 1.5mph running into it) so I didn't jack it too the moon.

It was high enough however that running into the wind would cause the entire hull to pick up enough that the boat would want to "hunt" and not lock in. That is why I blipped it down a spot when I added a passenger. But I literally did just that, just blipped the switch twice so it moved down MAYBE a 1/4".

I also remember during our previous test I slowed to about 70 (2 aboard) and just raised the plate until I lost water pressure. Normally I've got from 18-19 too as much as 24-25#s of water. When I just raised it until it ran out the plate traveled what I think was about 1/2" above pad and then the water dropped to 6#s instantly. The boat still ran fine there and the prop held the boat up like it was nothing but obviously the nose of the cone was sucking air.

:beer:
RA

ps
Oh yeah and the trim setting on my Smartcraft showed the best speeds in the 7.4-7.5 range (no wedges yet). With the propshaft off and a level on the pad and propshaft "dead nuts level" was 6.8 on the SC.

Last edited:

robert

Hi Red,

Glad to hear the prop is runnign so well. Mine is still in the box but am planning to go out next week, weather permitting.

dspencer

Red, I have a question for a friend. He just bought the new Legend 211 which is a slightly wider and slightly heavier boat than the Le21. He also has a regular 225opti on it with 1.75 I imagine. Would a 26 Xob be in order here? I have a 25O/T but I'm guessing that wouldn't work on his boat. He's running a 25 Tempest on it now.

Any ideas?

RedAllison

David the XOT could work (like a Trophy does) but it won't carry the load of a XOB. I also would think you have an OT with the cleaver blades which works great on the XB2003. But a big boat with a big block needs the X blades which is a rounder, more "load carrying" profile. Diameter wise, more is better if you have the power to push it. So is a full size hub, it in effect enlarges the "bearing surface" of the gearcase/prop to carry a load. But to realize you typically need big block torque. Pitch wise on your buds boat, 26" might be a lil steep if he has a stock 225Opti. I'd guess a 24" or 25"er but trying a 26" shouldn't hurt anything for comparison's sake.

Alot of guys running big boats with big blocks are having great results with QIV XOBs and Bravo I type "full size" wheels. The same wheels we turned on our smaller boats with smaller motors just don't do the same job with todays big boats and monster motors.

Try try try again, :beer:
RA

Last edited: