Hydromotive Quad 24 on Grandsport

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Earlier this summer I was fortunate enough to attend the Allison rally in TN, and further to get a chance to drive Todd Bucknell's Grandsport (XS-2003). As many of you know, Thom and Todd Bucknell are the principals of Hydromotive Engineering, and Todd had just put a new version of a 24 pitch prop on his personal Allison. It featured 15/16" vent holes at the hub and a welded-on "flare" ring at the through-hub portion of the exhaust.

He took me for a ride in his boat and I was blown away at the midrange acceleration and the holeshot, and the top end in the low 90's.

I ended up driving Todd's Grandsport back to the dock after Todd drove Denver's XB2002 back. Although at the time I had little seat time in the XS, I could tell that the prop pulled really hard and drove very easily and so I asked Todd to set me up with one.

My Grandsport is set up almost identically to Todd's. 11" setback, but I am running a shortshaft motor whereas he has the standard midsection (so effectively, I have a couple more inches of setback I guess).

Well, I got the prop last week and I don't know if this is THE exact prop he had at the rally, but it looked like it could go inside a glass case. The workmanship is flawless and the finish like a mirror. OK, it looks good, but how would it perform?

Answer: AMAZING!! The relief holes allow the prop to rev up and when she bites, LOOK OUT because even with all the family onboard, the launch is like a rocket.

It keeps getting better from there. It drives smooth as silk with extremely low wheel torque and when you punch it, you just get pinned back in the seat--which you might expect from a 24 pitch, but the driveability is second to none and that includes ET's and anything else I've run on this boat.

The big 15" diameter also seems to allow the running of higher propshaft settings, hence less case drag but still cupping water, so it's really hard to blow out.

Submerged for skiing / kneeboarding, I can pop skiers out of the water like in less than "one-thousand-one.." and at 3,000-3,200 rpm at a comfortable speed of 30mph or so. With boarders, doing about 2600 r's keeps them happy.

But the MOST fun with this prop is just punching it in the midrange, where you can get from say 60 to 90 RIGHT now. It must be some kind of progressive pitch because not only does it accelerate great, you can also cruise long distances with good mileage with the propshaft set up high and trimmed just slightly above neutral.

I'm going to give it a try on my XB2003 and see how it does. On the XS, it has the load-carrying capability of a Trophy, and yet the topend and punch of an ET. It's my favorite Hydromotive prop so far, and hands-down my favorite Grandsport prop.

I can now go to the delta and---NOT HAVE TO CHANGE PROPS for screaming solo and taking out the family & pulling toys!

THANKS Todd...this prop was a GREAT call for the GS and it ROCKS.

Lou

PS, Todd...What do you call this thing again? :D

John S

Theres no doubt they are a class business, and great to deal with. And youre right, the workmanship is flawless. I own 2 hydromotives right now, and will be trying that quad 4 soon....so Ill probably own 3. Glad to hear that it worked so good. :wink:

TBuck2003

Quad IV X OB

Lou,
Glad it worked out for you.Yes that is the prop from the rally.I ran it once down there and that was it.I love the acceleration with that prop,and your right you can enjoy all aspects of boating without saying damn I wish I had my other wheel.By the way it is a Quad IV X OB. OB stands for outboard and X is for the round ear blade style.Glad it worked and have some fun.Later Lou,

TBuck

glassman

Couple questions for 2fast. What do you have for power on your GS, a 225 or maybe a 260? When you are running in the mid 90's what kind of rpm's are you turning? What is the altitude at your lake? I would like to try one of these props, but I only have a 225 with a rev limiter and on a perfect day I can run about 95 on the limiter with a 30P Mach chopper. Also I am down on power a bit since we are at 2400'ASL. Thanks for the help.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Glassman, I am running a GPI-built 280 block with 260 electronics. It has the GPI intake plate on it (wet reeds) and at this point it is running way too rich. That's another story though - in the interim until I get to a solution I'd much rather be running rich than too lean. :wink:

I've got an A49 chip in the box at present so it has a rev limit of 7750, that starts coming on about 7600. That's where I start to lose power and it starts to glug-blubber.

I figure this motor is pushing at least 280-300 hp in the powerband; it has 172 psi compression all the way around and I am splashing race gas with 91 octane premium pump gas. However the power is down owing to the rich condition, I believe. I think there's more to be had with a more appropriate fuel curve.

Where I run varies from sea level (the CA delta) to 440 feet (Lake Berryessa). I've got the box set at 99%.

Mid to low 90's is upwards of 7 grand, honestly I was looking where I was going and only glanced at the speedo once and it said 92. This speedo tends to indicate slow, GPS on this one is always a mile or two above.

The prop never gave any indication of wanting to "blow out", so I became comfortable with it very quickly. I think that's at least partially due to its large diameter.

Call Todd at Hydromotive and he will be happy to give you some insight on how the prop might work out for your application. Or send him a private message here at TBuck2003. They are great folks to deal with and he is one of the premiere experts on Grandsport setup in the country, in my opinion.

glassman

Thanks for the quick reply 2fast. I suspected you were running substantial power on your rig. I was hoping (dreaming) that there might be a 90 mph prop with a holeshot in my 225hp world. Probably not. I will give Todd a call tho.

Terry

whipper

glasman

When you find it let me know or visa versa. There is the prop of your wishes im sure. My 28 drag 4 is close. Hole shot of a 25 trophy on the 225Promax GS, wicked mid range though not quite as the trophys, and higher to end by 7 mph. 87. but i think and have been reading that the larger diamiter big ears are the way to go for us too. I would love to try a 27 Quad 4 That might be a good one for us? Hey if your thinking of buying something like that give me a call and if we buy two of something mabe we will get a deal! James 250-963-9069 Im not in a hurry but that doesnt mater when ever your ready. Just dont tell my wife :)