I had a funny urge today

SmallJaw

I get it every year about this time. The urge to start shooting my bow a little and watch a couple of the gazillion hunting shows on tv. I should have myself worked up to a pretty good fever by the time Oct 1 comes around in Illinois!:laughing

RedAllison

Must be in the air. Last week I got the urge to fling arrows & not with my compound or crossbow but with my Martin takedown recurve! I haven't shot the thing in 20yrs! :embarassed I hunted with it for 2 seasons. In 1991 I killed a 100" 8ptr with it in southern MO. I hunted with it again in '92 & from the same tree in MO I killed my first P&Y buck with it. (130" & change 8ptr). But after that I got married, started the whole "actin all grown up & chit" so I didn't think I had the time to practice with it enough so I hung it on the wall.

If you've never hunted with traditional gear you owe it to yourself to try it! :beer: There's just something neat about a simple "stick & string". For me part of the joy is that while shooting instinctive, you are focused on the animal/target. With modern equipment that focus is prevented/interfered with by to much mechanical gadgetry. I have a Mathews Switchback XT compound & a 175# 10pt crossbow but they are just "gadgets/tools" to me. I just never have grown attached to ANY of the compounds I sold, rigged or owned over the years but this ol Martin recurve is different! (64", 60# @ 28")

Those are 29" 2514 Superlites & I'll likely shoot Zwickey broad heads once again!
RA

Attachments

GotMyAlly

I need one of those for picking off beavers in the lake behind my house.........it's just a little too residential to deal with them with a 12ga.

SmallJaw

I love shooting a self bow. I borrowed a buddy's a couple of years ago and practiced with it. I shot the Lakes Archery Tournament with it and won 2nd. That was the only time I ever shot a tournament and I was right proud to have beaten a few guys who have been to the world championships a few times. My buddy, Nolan Lang, who loaned me the bow, came in 3rd and said I was a natural and I guess I must be to have beat some really good guys. I had a treatment the day before I shot that T and if I had not have run out of steam and missed 3 of the last 4 targets I would have easily won 1st. I was dialed in! LOL. I have killed several P&Y deer and bear with a compound but I do plan on doing what you love doing which is taking up a recurve or self bow. BTW, I bought a new Helium last year and that thing is almost like shooting a crossbow it is so accurate and easy. That is one reason I'm leaning towards traditional; to put a little shiver up my spine again. Right now, and I know you will understand what I'm saying here, if I draw down on it under 40-50 yards it is pretty much dead. It ain't that way with a self bow by a country mile.:laughing