I have a smartcraft. . And Solix 15.. nmea?

NOTGSXR

Is there any easy to show smartcraft data on the Solix which has a port already. What is needed? Thx

bassman

Id like to know the same thing.. did you ever find the answer.. do you have a merc monitor.. i have a level 2 ,there not alot of info out there on it.

Tim Powell

You need a Lowrance NMEA starter kit, level 1 Merc Monitor, and thats pretty much it.

I used a navico NMEA junction block so I didn't have to stack Tee's. Mine is connected to a HDS Unit but it should be the same physical connections.

Here is my setup:

I connected the power node from the starter kit to the junction block, point 1 to the junction block, HDS 8 to junction block, HDS 10 to junction block, added Tee to junction block, connected NMEA connection from Merc Monitor to Tee, installed resistor on each end of junction block and tee. From there I setup my HDS unit at the console to use GPS data and heading from point one, I set the bow to use heading front point one and internal GPS. (You won't have to do that using birds) Then I set the MM to use the GPS data from the HDS 8 (console unit).

Its pretty simple once you get into it, its all plug n play

Last edited:

bassman

Ok Tim thanks, i ordered a starter kit.. hopefully my allison electronics mount gets here soon so i can get it all set up

Tim Powell

I am sorry, I made a mistake. You do not need the Level 2 Merc Monitor. I thought mine was a level 2 but I just looked up the order and it was a Level 1.

bassman

Ok thanks, i have the leval 2 , i would think it shoild work the same i recieved my starter kit and hooked it up to and onix ..still waiting on my mount from allison to mount th solix...anyway it seem like it was comunicating..didnt have much time to mess with it.. not sure if i need to set somerhing up in the monitor or if the just see each other.. thanks for reply

Tim Powell

Ok thanks, i have the leval 2 , i would think it shoild work the same i recieved my starter kit and hooked it up to and onix ..still waiting on my mount from allison to mount th solix...anyway it seem like it was comunicating..didnt have much time to mess with it.. not sure if i need to set somerhing up in the monitor or if the just see each other.. thanks for reply

Yes, it will connect exactly the same. When using the NMEA starter kit, make sure you use the power node that came with it and do not use the power wires on the Merc Monitor.

As for programming, you don't need to do much on the Bird or Lowrance side but you will need to program the Merc Monitor to use the speed from the NMEA Network. It should pull speed and time from the GPS unit.

bassman

Thanks Tim , i finnally got it working.. im getting my engine data an my onix but not getting gps on the MM yet..havent tried it with the solix yet as im still waitinf for a bracket from allison..
Thought i read somewhere i need to add a nmea gps puck to get gps speed on the nmea when using humminbird?

Tim Powell

I am not sure on that. Mine is connected to lowrance. I would assume the bird would export the internal gps data without an external puck?

You will have to program the MM to use the gps data from the bird.