If you were planning to RE-POWER...

Jr in Jax

My new 300XS is a great addition to my Grandsport and makes it a much more fun package. Would not suggest it for a new Allison Owner with little seat time.

2Fast2Pass

My new 300XS is a great addition to my Grandsport and makes it a much more fun package. Would not suggest it for a new Allison Owner with little seat time.
Hey JR, sold my 280, 260, and all my 2.5 parts recently. Putting a 250xs or 300xs on shortly. Did you change your setback as well? Oh...I think I'm good on seat time :)

Jr in Jax

Ted , you will love the 300XS and we removed the setback plate and bolted the engine to the hydraulic jack plate up against the transom.

Of course you definitely have the seat time for the 2003/300XS package. I just did not want a new Grandsport owner piloting a possible 105+ MPH boat.

The hull runs much flatter with very little trim so coming off the power quickly does not allow a disastrous bow drop/bat turn.

You do need to make sure you do not have a couple of people climbing into the rear of the boat at the same time or you might get some water in the rear hatches.

From the same tongue weight of the trailer, there does not seem to be a lot of difference in the rear weight .

The fuel economy literally allows you to ride fast all day and not worry about having enough fuel and the idle/sound is like a "Fishing Motor".

Before due to the 2.5 15" sound, people would be looking to see what was coming. Now most people don't even realize that I passed by.

Due to the much lower engine noise, the water hitting the hull is much louder.

Jaco's Marine is worth the trip to Tennessee to have yours rigged or you can just have Bronson ship you the motor.

Lotus 50

My brother and I re-powered our ski boat with a 150 HO. When the ice ever melts we can try it. I'm going to put a 28" wheel on it, and evaluate the low and mid range performance. Obviously 28" is too big for our ski boat, but if the 150 can push my ski boat decently with a 28, then it would work on my SS2000. The ski boat weighs about the same as the SS2000, and its about the same size. A lot of ifs there. If it seems OK, if the dealer still has 150 HOs by the time I figure it out,...

Jr in Jax

The weather here is pitiful right now, but I will try to get some in-the-water pictures soon. I do get stopped at every restaurant and gas station to answer questions about it. It does not float much different than with my old 2.5 ss which is heavier than most 20" 2.5s. BTW it is faster with more than one person in it and handles rough water much better than before.

Jr in Jax

This is the only picture that I have but you can see how it floats with 30 Gallons inboard fuel plus a 6 gallon portable beside the inboard tank.DSCF1056.JPG

2Fast2Pass

If u want one better order now! Just ordered mine and it's while supplies last. They are no longer making them. JR what is the set back on yours?

Jr in Jax

Ted,
It is just the 5" CM hydraulic jack plate. It has a little problem trying to get on plane with 5 people in it and full fuel. The engine with 30" chopperII goes to the rev Limiter and requires a several stage approach to get it on plane. I am using my same Allison plate bolted to the sportmaster.
I think it is just too much horsepower for the ChopperII to get a grip. I intend to try a 4 blade when it gets out of break-in. Due to the abundance of horsepower it seems to run much better with passengers. The 4 non-boating passengers I carried on a rough/windy lake Saturday [Sunday School class party] just raved about how comfortable it rode in the mid 60s and one group in the high 70s.
I sure hope you like yours as much as I do.

2Fast2Pass

Ted,
It is just the 5" CM hydraulic jack plate. It has a little problem trying to get on plane with 5 people in it and full fuel. The engine with 30" chopperII goes to the rev Limiter and requires a several stage approach to get it on plane. I am using my same Allison plate bolted to the sportmaster.
I think it is just too much horsepower for the ChopperII to get a grip. I intend to try a 4 blade when it gets out of break-in. Due to the abundance of horsepower it seems to run much better with passengers. The 4 non-boating passengers I carried on a rough/windy lake Saturday [Sunday School class party] just raved about how comfortable it rode in the mid 60s and one group in the high 70s.
I sure hope you like yours as much as I do.
Thanks. Me too

Jr in Jax

Ted, I just ordered a 32 Yamaha Drag 4 from Tim at performance Propeller. I would have tried a 30 but it was a month out. I sure feel I have the HP to spin it. Jack Barsh and Tim both thought that would be my best choice of prop to help the holeshot. I will let you know how it works.

2Fast2Pass

Ted, I just ordered a 32 Yamaha Drag 4 from Tim at performance Propeller. I would have tried a 30 but it was a month out. I sure feel I have the HP to spin it. Jack Barsh and Tim both thought that would be my best choice of prop to help the holeshot. I will let you know how it works.
Awesome, I will for sure have to get some new wheels. All my props will be too small!!

Ally03 200xs

If I can spin the 32 drag 4 on my xb2003 with 300xs, your GS should easily spin it.

2Fast2Pass

Ally03 tell me about your set up. After reading all I could find looks like anything from 4.5" to 14" will work. I ordered a 10" plate for mine. Was 15" with the 280

Ally03 200xs

Ally03 tell me about your set up. After reading all I could find looks like anything from 4.5" to 14" will work. I ordered a 10" plate for mine. Was 15" with the 280
Setup:
- 13" of setback with the 9" Allison setback plate and 4" Rapid Jack Magnum.
- Allison foil and skid planner (You may need some type of skid planner on your 10" plate to prevent a backwash at shutdown)
- Running two batteries
* Trolling motor battery as far forward along the inside wall in port locker
* Starting battery is behind the live well on the port side
- Trolling motor on the port bow

Do you belong to the Allison owners group on Facebook? Lots of people over there running 3L on XB2003.