INFO: VP Racing Fuels

Rocket

Here's some GREAT info on VP-Racing Fuels! :D

Methanol

M-1 Racing Methanol has a 99.95% minimum purity - the highest purity available in the U.S. With M-1, engines run cooler and are less subject to corrosion. VP uses only lined drums which prohibit rust, corrosion and metal deposits that can contaminate fuel delivery systems. Recommended for all methanol-legal racing applications.
Racing Nitromethane

Nitrofuel 100

GPI Racing

Just some extra info on fuels.....

Your two strokes are very dependent on the specific gravity of the fuel. Pump 92 is usually around .745. The closer you stay to this number the less fuel curve difference that your motor will see. Example: VP Blue would be a better choice than C-14 because at .717 specific gravity there would be less change than the C-14 at .696. Using C-14 the engine would "think" it is effectively 9% leaner. The engine burn lbs. of fuel and air, it "sees" the specific gravity because the injectors will only flow so much fuel. Now we could compensate by turning the ECU richer, but most miss this. I have guys all the time that have engines that do not need "race fuel" running it because they tried it and the motor turned more RPM. They could have just "leaned" the fuel out and got the same effect. Aviation Blue 100LL is very light. .66 and such. Many a guy has claimed they picked up speed using this, but in reality they just ran their engine leaner. I bring all this up to help understand how our 2 strokes "see" some things we do to them. I know of several guys that have burned pistons because there enging was close to the edge and running a "lighter" fuel without compensating put them over the edge.

Hope this is easy to make sense of...

Randy

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I'm using the TT-111 from Chevron/Philips. It's blue and is cheaper in my area than VP110 purple.

Question: Doesn't the mixed lubricant (and the ratio thereof) significantly affect the specific gravity of the fuel? Or is this out of the equation for some reason?

GPI Racing

Good one Lou! Yes it does, but I left that out as to not get too confusing. The more oil you use, the "leaner" the mixture, or effective mixture, becomes. If you change ratios you need to think about the fuel curve and how it is effected. The specific gravity of the total mix is effected and the type of oil you use will change this number. Luckily we never run our 2 strokes without oil so the effect has always been there. Running lean oil ratios has some benifit but I've never had the benefitbe greated than the result of running a 32:1 ratio or there abouts. Leaner oil ratios, when compared, are measurable on the dyno. Small as they are I feel the engines last longer with a good lube ratio so that is what we run.

Randy