I've had a bad run of mechanical luck lately

GotMyAlly

On my way home from work today, I heard a WHAP WHAP WHAP. Thought it was a flat tire. Pulled over, checked all 4 - all full of air. So after a walk around, I jump back in the truck and head on down the road. The WHAP WHAP WHAP is slowly getting louder and I can feel it in my steering wheel. I stop for another walk-around. Nothing wrapped around the axle, no visibly busted u-joints or axle joints. Figured I had a CV joint in the front end that was going out and popping as it rotated, but I was pretty close to home so i continued on. When I pulled in the driveway, i jacked the front end up and spun each tire. Both spun as quietly as you can imagine. Grabbed each tire at 3 & 9 and gave 'em a shake. First one was good. Second one had some play, but not what I expect. All the lug nut were loose enough that I could spin 'em by hand. I pulled out the impact, cinched 'em down, and went for a short test drive. Problem solved. It's been 6 mos since I've had the tires rotated, and i have spline lug nuts so nobody could have loosened them without the key. Only thing I can guess is this cold snap - coldest day we've had yet this year - caused some components to contract and the heat from driving caused others to expand, allowing it to work loose.

GotMyAlly

I can't explain it. Between that and my brake problems last weekend, I better grow eyes in the back of my head.