L/U setup/cone setup

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aaron is running a Bobs cone on his GS on a torquemaster setup for an Ally. I've got a Bobs coned small shaft 200 production lower unit, no idea if any setup in mind for it, just has a cone on it. My Bobs unit is on Aarons GS right now and he was talking about how it just doesn't seem to feel comfortable at speed. Same propshaft height and prop he always runs. I've not ran it on mine yet at speed, and so far my speed is only mid 70's. Would it be worthwhile to have it sent out and designed for the ally? Hopefully Aaron will chime in here and give more details. Not really sure what I'm asking here, but wanna get opinions on different cones and setups. Thanks!

Brian

aaronmt

Not sure exactly why it feels so different but it definatley does. It just feels loose for lack of better way to describe it. I tried it over and over with different props loaded,unloded as well as higher and lower.The 200 case has 2 pickups if that makes a difference.Any ideas guys?

whipper

Got picks? Is the tab bent at the back of the skeg? Lots of guys liked the 200,s and reportadley fast. Mines the same as your Aaron. I love the touquemast with bobs for every thing. The 200,s I thought were the fastest?

chad202

Check to make sure the tabs are the same. Lay down and look at the front of the skeg back to the tab and see if you see the same amount of tab on both cases. Also, look at the starboard side of the skeg where it meets the bottom of the lu and see if one has a hump from front to back.

ImbadBob

You might also look at the center of the cone in relation to the propshaft center. The last lower I sent to Bob's for an Allison had the cone center 3/8" below propshaft center. It was the fastest gearcase I ran on my 2003.
Bob

mtolley

i made a "right turn turn clyde" with mine on sunday at 99.3mph according to my gps. can anybody post specific pics of there coned case that handles correctly? i know that its impossible for people to set every cone EXACTLY perfect with having to make small modifications. mine is set inline with the propshaft, but i do have a small hump where the skeg meets the case on the stb side. whats the best way to flatten that out? how much curve does the tab need and whats the best way to recurve it without breaking? trying to prevent this from happening again. mt

aaronmt

Right turn at 99.3 :shock: Your here to talk about it, so I guess you made it ok.I have never looked at my torquemaster/bobs real close,but I will today. Im not sure it is the fastest case but it works realy well. In the next couple weeks I will be out dialing the boat in.I have never tried anything other then just where it was set at when I put it on.Surely I cant have silverbullet getting to close to me.:laughing Aaron

mtolley

Yes, wot and acellerating, probably ran 1 1/2 miles pushing the throttle a little at a time until wot. Dont know if i lost the handling,trimmed a tad too much( a bump or two past level w/bottom) or the prop(30" hoss hpd worked for a 2/motor tunnel). Boat bobbled from port to starboard a few times, i had an idea of what was fixin to happen and prepared for it. When the boat started to hook, i started feeding port side steering to it and it kinda of made a small "s" turn at speed. Folks on the hill said it looked pretty bad, but it didnt feel as bad as i was scared shitless! mt