learning about props?

Speedman

So I am in the market for a spare, lots on SF, I have an xb2002 with a 225 promax/sportmaster, 10" manual jack. What's the difference and what shaft do I have? want a fishing prop, heavy load, Currently running an SRX 14.25x29, can't hit the rev limiter, but that's o.k, can't afford another motor! what's the diff between choppers, cleavers, 4 blades?, oh yeh, just put an Allyfoil on it and that was great! Looks like everybody likes Hoss, what do you think, Thanks, GAry

B

BP

My suggestion would be a staright up Merc Chopper.
Thick blades, plenty of lift when running heavy, good holeshot and they seem to be plentiful/affordable second hand(if you have the reg. shaft).
You can run one as is or have one of the prop gurus tweek it to your liking.
Chopper style props have more "bow lift"
Cleaver styles will give more of a neutral or stern lift but will not carry a load well.
ET's and Yammi drags are somewhere in between the two types as far as characteristics go.
4 blades will shine in rough water as that extra blade in the water will keep you "hooked up".
Never ran a Hoss, people seem to like them that have them.
If your gonna buy new, call Randy at GPI as he sells the Hoss props, they seem to be hard to find used.

GotMyAlly

In regards to your shaft size question....it depends on the year of your sportmaster. Fat shaft came out sometime in 2001 and prior to that they were small shaft. I'd guess since you are running an SRX you probably have a small shaft....I've never seen one of those hubbed for a large shaft. Small shaft is 15 spline 1" diameter. Fat shaft is 19 spline 1 1/4" diameter.

Good info above on the prop differences. 4 blades tend to handle a little easier but usually 1-2 mph slower on the top end. 4 blades lift the whole boat; 3 blades have more bow lift (but this is also a function of blade design too). And large hubs (over/thru) seem to carry weight better than overhub props. That's about the extent of my prop knowledge.

Oh yeah...try before you buy if you can. They all run different....some good some bad.

Speedman

Thanks for the info, I think I'll look for a 28 chopper! my engine is a 97 so it must be a small shaft, thanks again!

J

John Richied

Your 29 SRX should be a good prop on your rig… When I had my stock rev limiter and 29 SRX I could rev limit the prop at around 94-mph on the Gps. But like I said in another post the holeshot sucked!

I agree a 28 Chopper off Scream and Fly would be a good choice, but be very careful. When you buy a used prop you never know what you are getting for sure. The if it’s be repaired, worked, has a hairline crack are all things to watch out for and even in a picture any prop can look good.

Things you can do are:

Don’t just find the cheapest one and buy it… when a prop is dirt cheap there is usually a reason why.

Ask the seller what boat he ran it on and what rpm/mile per hour it ran… a true 28 pitch should run around 91 mph @ 6750 Rpm’s and 101 @ 7500 Rpm’s.

After you think you found the right prop click on a search of the person selling the prop, resent posts… Check the items he has sold before for happy and unhappy buyers.

The best used props to find will read something like this… I just bought this 28 chopper II; it comes with a regular propshaft hub. I ran it 6 or7 times and my boat won’t spin it up. I would like to sell it for $400 or trade it for a 26 pitch Chopper II in the same condition.

Like GotMyAlly said if you could get someone to let you try it, before you buy it… that is always the best way. Some Allison owners will do that and most guys need to know you for a while before they will do that.

Speedman

Thanks John, maybe I will just get another srx? anybody know where I can get a new one for a good price? you are right, the hole shot did suck, then I got an Allyfoil and...what a difference! nose stays down and she just goes! plus I don't race it so hole shot is not important, but top end is. how about a 30 something or other?

J

John Richied

Find an SRX worked by DAH... they use to do a real nice job on the SRX props.

An SRX-DAH 29 pitch with an thrust washer a