Low pressure fuel pumps-feeding VST tank

XB03AllyProud

I recently had my 225PM rebuilt by Jay Smith with his mods he does and have been almost 2 yrs into setting up a XB02. He had a couple hrs run time on it and ran great, I got it all going on the hose week or so ago and all great just idling. I got just one real thing to do before putting on the water-He brought up due to mods and fuel needs now that I may need to setup a 2-3PSI pump(Holley Blue) to feed the VST tank as the pulse pump may not be able to keep up pulling thru primer bulb etc from our stock tanks with the standpipe as they are. So question is- most low pressure pumps are designed to be gravity fed I thought, so will they also suffer trying to pump out of our non-gravity fed fuel pickups? Any other pumps that would work as well to feed the VST tank. I would be eliminating the pulse pump. Or any other suggestions anyone has had to do on a similar build? Or is this not necessary? I have full faith in Jay and he knows his builds, just I didn't remember hearing this before from anyone that it was needed. Ultimately I will do whatever it takes to make sure she never starves or anything else bad happens to cause harm. I thought about eliminating the VST and plumbing Pro-Stock with return to tank, but that even has me questioning if a Bosch setup that way can be fed plenty on suction side from our pickups not being at bottom of tank gravity fed. Thoughts anyone? You guys with 260 and more HP than I have and pumps in boat are you using the stock pickup/ standpipe in our tanks? Any drawbacks to going Prostock and getting rid of VST. To me it is 1 less pump to run and to fail if I need the electric pump to feed VST. I have the old style external Bosch pump setup on my VST so mounting it in boat is no issue, will it work in a prostock setup or do I actually need a 260 pump which I have one but my PM size pump is brand new and I have a 2nd one NIB never opened for backup.

Would one of these small pumps work for feeding VST, they do say gravity feed and that has me concerned without doing the low bulkhead fitting-
Mr Gasket
  • Micro Electric
  • 12 Volt
  • 2 to 3.5 PSI
  • Flow Rate (gph): 28 gph
Let me know your theories and suggestions. Thanks all!

Last edited:

XB03AllyProud

Thanks JGH-I forgot about Diamonds setup, actually have it saved as a document on another computer.
PKSTV-You don't have or could send me list of parts you used for the bottom outlet you did do you? Fitting and gasket to make leak free seal.

Bobalouie

I believe Bassracer posted this photo years ago. I used it as reference to do the same mod on my XB02. But I used a -8 bulkhead fitting and line on the suction side and -6 on the pressure side with a -4 return to the tank. The return I just plumbed into the old standpipe hole in the top of the tank. That way the agitated fuel would have time to de-areate before getting back to the suction.

Fuel Bung location in tank (takes advantage of a small sump on the XB02 tank)

Top of the tank:

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
What is everything mounted to? Plastic? I need to build that for my XR to more easily service things - just make removable modules vs individual parts.

XB03AllyProud

That's all good setups, the modular setup worked great years ago on a couple other projects. Set up where disconnect 2 hoses and power and lift it all out. I ordered fittings a couple days ago but still not sure direction going for my current setup. I tried to get tank out back in the fall-tug pulled cussed and gave up after a few tries. They sure made it tight tolerances with not a lot of looking ahead 30 yrs to having to get them out. I may have to get seriously aggressive now and try again, grease the sides or something. I got it cleaned and spotless inside and pulled standpipe and checked it so I was satisfied at that time. I'd like to have fitting on bottom as above picture, but at same time a lot of guys still running with the standpipe and no issues. Too many options and decisions.

pkstv- on your bulkhead fitting, do you have a pipe on inside of fitting turned down into sump? Did you install fitting with tank still in boat just slide ahead to get arm in from top?

scj

pkstv- on your bulkhead fitting, do you have a pipe on inside of fitting turned down into sump? Did you install fitting with tank still in boat just slide ahead to get arm in from top?
That's the bottom of the tank you're looking at. He has it laying on it's side.

Bobalouie

What is everything mounted to? Plastic? I need to build that for my XR to more easily service things - just make removable modules vs individual parts.
I bolted it all to a 1/8" thick piece of aluminum and then bolted that to the floor.

Reactions: Jon

XB03AllyProud

Thanks guys, I'm at work in PA and not home but I believe my tank is like yours PKSTV. But it does have a slight low spot though that standpipe sets down in. Thought a guy could solder a soft copper tube angle cut with proper length to the ID of bulkhead fitting mounted low on the side of tank like yours to go to that low spot. I'm over thinking all this I believe. I truly dread trying get tank out. I moved it forward and took sender plate and all out so I could reach in and clean with rags taped to stick, then sprayed with carb cleaner and took clean shop towels and wiped it all good again. Fittings arrived today wife said, so when I get home I will have to study it all in person. You all have been great food for thought.

Bobalouie

My tank came out pretty easy, just removed the front strap off of it, and pulled the big rectangular piece that holds the sender so I could use that as a hand hold. Pulled the lid and hinge, plus the strut bracket and weatherstrip around the edge and it slid right out. It is a TIGHT fit, but mine was really easy.

Without removing the hardware and weatherstrip to make the hole as large as possible, there would have been no way it came out. 20 min of extra work to save a lot of time and effort.

XB03AllyProud

I had all that off but it is swelled out it seemed and could not even get it started very far. One thing I thought of today at work watching a shop hand strap stuff to a pallet was use some of the flat strapping as a sling under each end and tied to a pipe horizontal to pull up even from overhead. I just need to get home and get on it and off the keyboard thinking too much. I'm gone 2-3 weeks at a time to work and spend too much time thinking out projects for when I get home. Usually they always revolve around the boat.